• Numbers 13 is the story of the sending
of 12 spies into land of Canaan. They
spent 40 days and brought back good
news and bad. GOOD: It is a land
flowing with milk and honey! BAD:
People there are giants that make us
look like grasshoppers. Numbers 13:31-
14:4 tells us 10 spies overwhelmed the
people with their bad report.
CALEB & JOSHUA
• Only Caleb and Joshua had confidence in
the Lord (Numbers 14:6-9). The people
listened to the bad report and spent 40 years
wandering in the wilderness. The ten spies
died of plague (Numbers 14:36,37). Joshua
and Caleb were spared.
• CALEB was spared because “he…has
followed me fully” (Num. 14:36,37; 32:11,12;
Deut. 1:36; Josh. 14:8-9,14). What a
wonderful epitaph: “He wholly followed the
Lord God of Israel.”
Following The Lord Fully
• Caleb followed the Lord in the wilderness
and in Canaan 45 years later (Josh. 14:8-
10). Many do not do this. They turn back
like Lot’s wife (Gen. 19:26), even though
she had cleared the city, she could not
continue without looking back and
disobeying God’s rule. Galatians 3:1- tells
us many are bewitched like the Galatians.
What About Us
• Shall we follow the Lord in our Youth?
1 Tim. 4:12- “Let no man despise your youth but
be an example in word, lifestyle, love, spirit and
• Shall we follow Him in Old Age?
Titus 2:1-5- Aged men be sober, grave,
temperate, sound in faith, in love and patience.
Aged women be in behavior as becomes
Ps. 92:12-15- “Bring forth fruit in old age…to
show the Lord is upright, and my rock there is no
unrighteousness in Him.”
Following With Our Whole Heart
• Means- “love the Lord they God with all your
heart, all your soul and all your mind and your
neighbor as yourself” (Mt. 22:36-38)
• Cannot serve with divided heart. Consider
Solomon who was influenced by worldly
wives. (1 Kings 11:4)- “when Solomon was old
his wives turned away his heart after other
gods and his heart was not perfect with the
Lord as was the heart of his father, David.”
Caleb & Compromise
• He would not compromise.
• James 4:4 tells us “friendship with the world is
enmity with God.”
• Matthew 6:24- “you cannot serve God and
• 1 John 2:15-17- “love not the world neither what is
in the world.”
• Will we follow without compromise or with divided
allegiance? Can only truly follow one way.
What About the Giants?
• Caleb was willing to face the giants in the land
because he believed God’s promise (Num.
13:33.) He was no grasshopper!
• He was willing to face wrath of brethren (Num.
14:10- congregation wanted to stone them)
• Biggest enemies are sometimes our own
• Willing and confident he could take a mountain
from the giants in his old age ( Josh. 14:10-12)
Are We Convenient Servants?
• Will we follow despite ridicule, persecution and
danger (Matt. 5:10-12- “blessed are you when
men will persecute you and say all sorts of evil
against you falsely”)
• HOW WAS CALEB ABLE TO BE SO
COMMITTED? Num. 14:8-9- they knew the Lord
was with them and would give them the land. His
confidence was in the Lord not self. He knew the
Lord would do what He said He would.
HOW WILL WE DO GOD’S WILL?
• Heb. 12:1-4 Keep your eye on Jesus, He is the author
and finisher of our faith. Considering the hardships he
endured we can go through anything.
• Like Caleb we must have a different spirit- “my servant
Caleb because he has another spirit in him and hath
followed Me fully, I will bring him into the land.
• Caleb was not a defeatist, nor complainer and did not
have a “grasshopper complex.” He had a “can do” spirit.
We have armor to put on today (Eph. 6:10-13) and it will
enable us to stand against any evil we face.
• Do not listen to those who tell you it cannot be done the
Lessons From Caleb
• HE WAS A TRUE LEADER OF MEN
• HE WAS A SERVANT WHO SPIED OUT THE
LAND THEN HELPED DIVIDE IT (Num.14:24)
• HE WAS AN EXAMPLE OF FAITH AND
COURAGE (Num. 13:30- “Caleb stilled the
people and said, let us go up at once to
possess it for we ARE WELL ABLE to
• He inspired others to serve even in old age
(Josh. 14:6-12) He was still able to fight at 85.
WHAT MADE CALEB
• HE WAS COMMITTED
• HE WAS FOCUSED ON WHAT WAS
• HE POSSESSED INTEGRITY
• HE DID NOT FEAR OR FAVOR MEN
• HE DID RIGHT BECAUSE IT WAS
• HE DIDN’T FEAR –WALKING W/GOD
Questions For Us?
• How Useful Are You To the Lord?
• Are you afraid to do what God told you to do?
• Caleb lived a fulfilled life.
1. Only he and Joshua were allowed to enter
Canaan from old generation.
2. He inherited the land around Hebron.
3. His land had rest from war (Josh. 14:15.)
4. He and Joshua only two out of 603,550 men
to survive the 40 year wandering. The others
fell “for they have not wholly followed me.”
FOLLOW THE LORD WHOLLY AS CALEB &