Facilitiy Committee Minutes 2-6-07

Document Sample
Facilitiy Committee Minutes 2-6-07 Powered By Docstoc
					                                         GROSSMONT COLLEGE
                                     FACILITIES COMMITTEE MEETING

                                                 February 6, 2007

                                              MEETING SUMMARY

Present:       Fred Allen, Patrice Braswell-Burris, Jerry Buckley, Janet Castanos, John Colson,
               Sheridan DeWolf, Val Eskridge, Jim Fenningham, Tim Flood, Beth Kelley, Clark
               Lacerda, Roger Owens, Walter Sachau, Jim Spillers, Brad Tiffany, Jim Wilsterman

Recorder:      Kelly Rosas
Tim Flood convened the meeting at 9:35am

The committee went around the room and introduced themselves to the new ASGC student representative,
Clark Lacerda.

PARKING LOT ASSESSMENT REPORT
Tim distributed four handouts regarding the parking lot assessments and reviewed them with the committee.
The first map was a summary map that outlines the number of parking spaces available within each parking
lot; these are existing spaces. The second handout, Optimal Parking Space Configuration, lists out what our
optimized parking would be if we re-stripped the parking lots. Besides parking lot five, the only other lot where
we would gain additional parking would be in parking lot three. Tim reviewed the map that outlined parking lot
three. Currently, there is a chain separating the staff lot. If this chain was removed and the lot re-stripped, the
college could gain 10 additional parking spaces. This is a low cost project that could be done in house by the
maintenance staff. The committee approved this recommendation; Tim will bring this recommendation forward
at the next Planning and Budget council meeting. The fourth handout, Repair Plan Cost Estimate Summary
was discussed along with two colored maps Tim showed on the projector. The maps were parking lot
condition analysis done by RBF. The areas highlighted in red (lot 1 and lot 4) are the parking lots that need
major work. Tim feels parking lot 5 should also be in the red, but is currently shaded yellow, meaning it needs
work. The total cost to repair the parking lots is $3.1 million dollars. This total is just the cost alone; it does not
include any soft costs, which could elevate the total by about 20-25%. Tim stated the District Wide Parking
Committee is currently working on resolution of the parking fund; John Al-Amin and Arlene Satele have been
working on possible solutions as well. Any information from the meeting will be distributed to the Facilities
Committee.

Follow Up Items & Next Steps:
    Tim will take the recommended suggestion regarding parking lot 3 to Planning and Budget Council for
      approval.

STUDENT CENTER/STUDENT SERVICES PROGRESS REPORT
Tim gave a brief review; the Chancellor has approved the Student Center/Student Services meetings to
resume. The IPP and FPP needs to be reviewed. Tim distributed a handout for the student complex which
outlined the project budget with the parking structure scenarios. Key items to remember for this project are:
keep the project in budget, verify space allocation with departments, the budget may force consolidation, work
with the task force to identify program needs and space locations, and work with the task force to identify
programs which could be located in student center vacated space. The north property was discussed. Tim
stated that the district is waiting to get their court date so that our evaluators and team can walk the property

Follow Up Items & Next Steps:
    None

HEALTH PROFESSIONS PROGRESS REPORT
Tim distributed a handout of overall space summary for the Health Professions building. The task force has
been working on the space allocation of the building since the FPP was submitted years ago; programs have
outgrown the space allotted to them originally in the FPP. The architects have submitted five suggested
footprints, two of which have been removed; the task force will meet on February 7th to review the plans and
make a decision on the building footprint.

Follow Up Items & Next Steps:
    None

OFFICE SPACE REQUEST FORM
Tim distributed a draft copy of the Office Request Form. This form will allow for the tracking of office
assignments, ensure the moves have been approved, and track the secondary effects of requests and
changes. Once the form is approved with all signatures, Tim will forward the form to Instructional Operations,
the Dean of the division, and the Vice President of Academic Affairs. The form is quite simple and should help
establish history for the future.

Follow up Items & Next Steps
    Tim will take the proposed form to Planning and Budget for approval.

SPACE HEATERS – POLICY/PRACTICE/RECOMMENDATION
Tim stated that he had received a request from Brad Tiffany to discuss the space heater policy. The college
really doesn’t have a policy on space heaters; Tim stated that in the past, if Karl Oemick saw a space heater,
would cut the chord of the heater. Tim reviewed some key facts about space heaters and opened the floor up
for discussion and possible suggestions. Space heaters can be approved for limited use; for example, certain
areas where the doors are constantly opening and closing, or where there are problems with the HVAC
systems. Tim reminded the committee that space heaters can have a negative impact on multiple offices if the
heaters are used incorrectly. For example, the air conditioning will turn on in an area if a space heater is
located near the thermostat. In addition, space heaters are extremely inefficient; Tim asked if you have a
problem to contact his office so we can resolve the heating problem. The committee discussed the use of
space heaters and agreed that they are needed in certain situations. Tim is going to talk with the electricians
to get an approved model so that offices can purchase these as needed. Tim will report back to the committee
with the approved model at the next meeting.

Follow up Items & Next Steps
    Tim to report back with approved make/model of space heaters.


BICYCLE RACKS NEAR DESIGNATED SMOKING AREA 8
Kats Gustafson had approached Walter regarding the bicycle racks on campus. Kats is inquiring to see if a
bicycle rack could be placed near the designated smoking area by the 300 area. Students are currently
locking their bikes up to the railing around the LTRC, and it is difficult for the visually impaired students to
decipher the bikes. Rather than install a rack on campus, since the students are not allowed to ride their bikes
on campus anyway, Tim suggested the subcommittee review this and possibly suggest some alternative
locations for the racks to be installed. Some suggestions were around the perimeter of campus; if you put a
bike rack in the middle of campus, students will ride to it. The subcommittee will meet and make a
recommendation to the Facilities Committee.

Follow up Items & Next Steps
    A subcommittee was formed to discuss a campus wide bike promotion. Subcommittee will meet and
      report back to the Facilities Committee.

NEW BUSINESS
Patrice asked a question of the committee regarding the designated smoking areas. Faculty members have
asked who enforces this policy. The committee stated this is a campus effort, everyone enforces the policy.
Anyone with questions can be directed to the counseling office, the business office, or to the ASGC office for
maps. Walter stated that an article will be published in the Summit that will better inform students about the
designated areas.    Fred stated that he was at a college the other day and noticed large signage placed
throughout the campus (permanent signage) that directed people to the designated smoking areas. This might
be something to consider rather than the paper posters we have put on campus.

Tim asked for volunteers for the subcommittee that will research a bike to work and school campaign. The
volunteers are: Beth Kelly (chair), John Colson, Walter Sachau, and a student representative from ASGC.

Meeting adjourned 10:45 a.m.

				
DOCUMENT INFO
Shared By:
Categories:
Tags:
Stats:
views:3
posted:1/15/2012
language:
pages:3