Description of CHEM 308 ORGANIC CHEMISTRY II
Course Unit Title: ORGANIC CHEMISTRY II
Course Unit Code: CHEM 308
Type of Course Unit: Main (Compulsory)
Level of Course Unit: Undergraduate (First Cycle)
Year of Study: 3
Number of ECTS Credits
Fatih University Credits: 4
Course Coordinator: Burak ESAT
Name of Lecturer(s): Burak ESAT A-340 ( email@example.com )
Objectives of the Course: Chem 308 is the last sequence of three semester organic chemistry courses. It covers
Aromatic Compounds, Spectroscopic Methods of Structure Determination, Electrophylic
Substitution, Carboxylic acid and their derivatives, Amines, Amino acids and Proteins.
Course Description: Aromatic Compounds, Spectroscopic Methods of Structure Determination, Electrophylic
Substitution, Carboxylic acid and their derivatives, Amines.
Learning Outcomes: 1. Define Organic chemistry in terms of the role of carbon in organic chemistry.
2. Identify and classify the major functional groups. These include alkanes, alkenes,
aromatics, alkynes, aldehydes, ketones, carboxylic acids, esters, amides, amines,
alcohols, and alkyl halides.
3. Predict reactivity of compounds based on their size and functional group.
4. Define and recognize the different types of isomerism, including geometric, stereo,
5. Explain and describe the meaning of primary, secondary, and tertiary substituents.
6. Name and draw the structure for molecules of the main functional groups, including
cis-trans and R-S notation.
7. Predict general products for basic simple organic reactions.
8. Give the mechanism of one common organic reaction
Mode of Delivery: Face-to-Face
Prerequisites and Prerequisites: (CHEM 208 or CHEM 204) or Chairman's Consent
Co-requisites: Co-requisites: None
Programme Components: N/A
Course Contents: Week Topics
( Weekly Lecture Plan )
1 Introduction / Orientation
2 Spectroscopy l
3 Spectroscopy ll
4 Spectroscopy ll
5 Allylic conjugation
7 DA Reactions l
8 Pericyclic reactioons
9 Nucleophilic Addition to C=O l
10 Nucleophilic Addition to C=O ll
11 Arenes and Aromaticity l
12 Arenes and Aromaticity ll
13 Aldehydes and Ketones ll
14 Ester Enolates ll
15 Final Exam
Recommended or Required 1) Organic Chemistry" (L.G. Wade) 2) Organic Chemistry" (Francis A. Carey) 3)
Reading: Organic Chemistry" (F. Solomon) 4) Organic Chemistry" (Clayden)
Planned Learning Activities
and Teaching Methods: Lectures, Exercises, Presentation, Case Studies, Recitation
Assessment Methods and Method Quantity (%)
Midterm Exam(s) 1 30
Final Exam 1 70
Language of Instruction: English
Work Placement(s): N/A