CLT Project Proposal for Asha AZ
June 5, 2005
Asha AZ Projects Meeting
• CLT: Children’s Lovecastles Trust
• Founded by Bhagya Rangachar in 1997.
• Based out of Jakkur village in Karnataka.
• Objective: Prevent school dropouts in rural
• The Need:
– More than 50 % of the children drop out before they
reach the 6th grade.
– Less than 8 % finish 12 years of schooling.
– Only 3 % make it to the end in rural areas.
• Create an informal layer over formal layer of
– “Adopt” a school.
– Build momentum for education in the community.
– Provide kids with additional learning resources
(computers, mentors, etc.) – add on to formal school
– Make learning fun!
• CLT model is scaleable, repeatable, renewable,
CLT Model in a Nutshell
• Address the major issues of the only available education
system for the children in under-served communities.
• CLT in partnership with the Government schools with
intervention as well as integration of CLT Learning model.
– Land from the Government + Computers from the
Corporates + Learning Modules from CLT
• Technology is introduced for Technology-Aided Teaching /
• Empower teachers with skill-building tools.
• Strengthen schools with infrastructure support – e.g. Library,
Science lab, Digital library, computers and furniture etc.
• Give the ownership of the program to the school.
• Intel Clubhouse (~ 850 kids)
– Setup by donation (in kind) from Intel; partnering with MIT Media
– One of only two Intel clubhouses in India.
– Variety of computers, educational softwares, multimedia
• Teachers’ Resource Center (~ 24 teachers)
– Computer lab, digital library, library, science lab, art/theater,
technology-aided training program.
• Mid-day Meal Program (~ 650 kids)
• Tsunami Project (Arakattuthurai village 2hrs from
Nagapattina) funded by Intel Foundation.
• Other programs: rain water harvesting, etc.
• Jakkur School, more than 75 years old, ~ 850 students
drawn from 10 villages, 75% fail rate in the 10th grade
• CLT intervened in 2000
• 10th Grade Results
– 2004: 44% passing
– 2005: 64% passing with 13 students above 60%, 6 above 75%,
one with 92%!
• Most of them continue on to college; 5-6 kids sponsored
by CLT scholarship program.
• About 55 girl student-dropouts from the surrounding
villages contacted CLT recently to continue their
education and finish 10th grade.
Rural School Cluster Proposal Outline
• Adopt a cluster of 6 schools in a District (Hoskote Taluk).
• Rooms from the existing Government Schools.
• Computers from Corporates (Cisco).
• Non-digital and Digital Library.
• One Resource Person from CLT to train the Goverment School
teachers (all 6 schools) once a week for Technology-Aided teaching.
• An After School program with Hands-On experience with the self-
directed learning model for the kids.
• Give the ownership of the program to the teachers after 2 years.
• Give them CLT Network support and on-line support throughout the
year and refreshers every year.
• Reach: About 2500 children, 60-70 teachers.
• Obtained approval and support (classrooms, electricity) from
Commissioner of Public Instruction.
Item Breakup Cost
Resource Person Rs. 12,000 *12 Rs. 144,000
Furniture Rs. 60,000 Rs. 60,000
Digital Library Rs. 180,000 Rs. 180,000
Books Rs. 120,000 Rs. 120,000
Total Rs. 504,000
• 1st year: Resource Person + Furniture = Rs. 204,000 ~ $5000
• 2nd year: Resource Person + ½ Digital Library = Rs. 234,000 ~ $5500
• Percentage of funds from local
• Opportunity to tap further into local donors?
• Letter from Public Instruction Commissioner
• Main project pages
– Children’s Lovecastle Trust: http://www.cltindia.org
– Asha AZ CLT Project Page: http://www.ashanet.org/projects/project-view.php?p=486
• Newspaper articles
– Deccan Herald – Jakkur Kids goto Boston: http://cd.educationinindia.net/cd-cc2.htm
– Business Line: http://www.blonnet.com/2003/06/06/stories/2003060601431700.htm
– Intel Computer Clubhouse: http://www.intel.com/community/india/cc2.htm
– AZ Intel: http://www.ashanet.org/projects-new/documents/486/AZIndiaArticle_Jan2004.doc
– Newspaper article 1: http://www.ashanet.org/projects-new/documents/486/CLT_Article1.jpg
– Newspaper article 2: http://www.ashanet.org/projects-new/documents/486/CLT_Article2.jpg
• Powerpoint presentations
– Hands On Science: http://www.ashanet.org/projects-
– Media Labs Asia (IIT): http://www.mlasia.iitb.ac.in/edu/
– Overview: http://www.employees.org/~mahaloki/CLT/CLT.ppt