Table Of Contents
• What are Hallucinogens? 1
• How are Hallucinogens used? 2
• What are some of the medical 3
• How do Hallucinogens produce their 4
• What are effects of Hallucinogens? 5
• Where can we get further information 6
• Other relevant information 7
• Other names for LSD 8
• Quiz 9
What are Hallucinogens?
• Hallucinogens are drugs that cause
hallucinations (profound distortions in a
person’s perceptions of reality)
How are Hallucinogens used?
• Hallucinogens are sold mainly in tablets and
capsules, but they can also be found in liquid
• Specifically, LSD can be added to absorbent
paper and dissolved on the tongue.
What are some of the medical
• “Trips” can be frightening and can
result in panic attacks.
• While on “trips,” your perceptions are
distorted and you are especially prone
How do Hallucinogens produce
• Hallucinogens disrupt the interaction between
serotonin and nerve cells.
• Serotonin is involved in the control of your
mood, muscles, sensory perception, and many
What are effects of Hallucinogens?
Short Term Long Term
• Pupil dilation • Damages fetuses
• Euphoria • A feeling of
• Perspiration being one with a
• Sleeplessness higher spirit
(only in frequent
• Rapid mood swings users)
• Hallucinations (duh!) • Can cause
Where can we get further
information about Hallucinogens?
• http://www.adolescent-substance- • This website
abuse.com/signs-acid.html provides symptoms
to look for in teens
who might be using
• http://www.gdcada.org/statistics/lsd.htm • The website gives
basic information on
Other relevant information
• LSD (lysergic acid diethylamide) is the most widely
• LSD is known as the “hippie drug”.
• While on LSD, users can imagine an alternate reality,
which is often animated.
1. What are Hallucinogens?
Drugs that cause hallucinations
2. How are Hallucinogens used?
In tablets, capsules, paper, and liquid
3. Name 3 short term effects of LSD.
4. Name 1 long term effect of LSD.
5. Identify 5 street names for LSD.