Semicolon/Colon Quiz (36 points)
Correctly place semicolons in the following sentences. You may have to remove other punctuation marks
if they interfere with semicolon placement. If no semicolon needs to be added, write correct in the space
1. I have not heard the latest comments therefore, I cannot render an opinion.
2. The siren blew loudly I rushed to the window, and the police raced past as I looked out.
3. We took our raincoats, boots, and umbrellas for the cookout.
4. My son is a medical technician, my daughter, a postal worker, and my wife, an editor.
5. I will sing for the performance, but I will not act.
6. The house looked like what we wanted on the other hand, we had not been inside.
7. The order was requested one week ago however, I expected the package to arrive by now.
8. You asked for forgiveness, he granted it to you.
9. The office staff at Dunder Mifflin Paper Company couldn’t keep up with the work there was too much
10. Other people did Bob’s work for him consequently, the office began to run more smoothly.
Correctly place colons in the following sentences. You may have to remove other punctuation marks if
they interfere with colon placement. If no colon needs to be added, write correct in the space provided.
11. The meeting must include the following people, Mark, Jay, Chris, and Ruby.
12. My favorite Bible scripture includes the following books and verses, Romans 8 28, Proverbs 18 24, and
1 Corinthians 13 8.
13. The polls close promptly at 800 p.m.
14. In Bob’s absence, Harry took care of making copies and answering phone calls.
15. Miss Patsy had the thing she really craved power.
16. Bert was proud of his new title Vice President of Sales.
17. This quiz covers these topics, nouns, verbs, and pronouns.
18. No one at school was invited to the party; Joe forgot to send invitations.
19. The new officers are as follows, Ron, the president; Hubert, the vice-president; and Don, the secretary.
20. Dear friend,
Fill in the following blanks using your notes.
21. Use a semicolon in place of a ________________ and _______________ when two sentences are squished
22. Use a colon to introduce a list, especially after a statement using _____________________, the
__________________, or as ____________________.
23. Use a colon between the hour and the minute of the exact time, between the chapter and the verse in Biblical
references, and after the_________________ of a business letter.
Write one sentence correctly using a semicolon and one sentence correctly using a colon. Do not use any
of the sentences in your notes—make the sentences original!!! (3 points each)