ITD 3194 – Aplikasi Web
Introduction to basic
concepts of web
NORZITA BINTI DURIAT - Q (5)
WEDNESDAY 10-12 pm
is composed of several computers connected
together to share resources and data.
a collection of
linked by copper wires,
Visualization of the various routes through a portion of the Internet
WWW (World Wide Web)
services accessible via the Internet
It is a graphical interface that utilizes the
Internet to distribute and retrieve information.
In contrast, the Web is a collection of
interconnected documents and other
resources, linked by hyperlinks and URLs or
a collection of linked Web pages.
ISP (Internet Service Provider)
is a company or business that provides access to the
Internet and related services.
most ISPs were run by the phone companies, but
now ISPs can be started by just about any individual
or group with sufficient money and expertise. E.g
iZZi by iZZinet Sdn.Bhd, P1 by Green Packet.
Rather than dial-up and DSL, they may provide a
combination of services including Internet transit,
domain name registration and hosting, web hosting.
IP (Internet Protocol)
IP is a network layer protocol in the Internet
Protocol Suite >> TCP/IP
IP handles lower-level transmissions from
computer to computer as a message makes
its way across the Internet
has the task of delivering distinguished
protocol datagrams (packets) from the
source host to the destination host solely
based on their addresses.
is a unique address that certain electronic
devices use in order to identify and
communicate with each other on a computer
network, utilizing the Internet Protocol
standard (IP)—in simpler terms, a computer
managed and created by the Internet
Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA).
An illustration of an IP address (version 4), in both dot-decimal notation and binary.
is a specific software program required to
display Web pages.
Access Web pages by entering its URL into
the Web browser’s address bar.
Uniform Resource Locator (URL) is
comprised of the protocol, followed by the
1. Hypertext Transfer Protocol
2. Domain name can be an IP address or a text
version of this address
Domain Name System (DNS) is to translate
hostnames to IP addresses.
DNS distributes the responsibility for
assigning domain names and mapping them
to IP networks by allowing an authoritative
A search engine is an information retrieval
system designed to help find information
stored on a computer system.
A Web search engine is a search engine
designed to search for information on the
World Wide Web.
Information may consist of web pages,
images and other types of files.
Other Internet Services
– File Transfer Protocol (FTP) is a
network protocol used to transfer data
from one computer to another through
a network, such as over the Internet.
While transferring data over the
network, several data representations
can be used.
Binary mode: In "Binary mode", the
sending machine sends each file byte
for byte and as such the recipient stores
the bytestream as it receives it.
– Electronic Mail (e-mail) is a store and forward
method of composing, sending, receiving and
storing messages over electronic
– Newsgroup is a web application for holding
discussions and posting user-generated content.
its also commonly referred to as Web forums,
message boards, discussion boards, (electronic)
discussion groups, discussion forums, bulletin
boards or forums.
4. Mailing Lists
– A mailing list is a collection of names and
addresses used by an individual or an
organization to send material to multiple
5. Chat Rooms
– A chat room is a term used primarily by mass
media to describe any form of synchronous
conferencing, occasionally even asynchronous
– The term can thus mean any technology ranging
from real-time online chat over instant
messaging and online forums to fully immersive
graphical social environments.
6. Web Portals
– Web portal is site that provides a single function
via a web page or site. Portals provide a way for
enterprises to provide a consistent look and feel
with access control and procedures for multiple
applications, which otherwise would have been
different entities altogether.
– Two broad categorization of portals are a.
Horizontal portals (e.g. Yahoo) b. Vertical portals
(focused on one functional area. e.g.,
7. Telnet (Teletype Network)
– A terminal emulation program for TCP/IP
networks such as the Internet. The Telnet
program runs on computer and connects PC to
a server on the network.
– User can enter commands through the Telnet
program and they will be executed directly on
the server console. This enables user to control
the server and communicate with other servers
on the network.
Impact of the Internet and the Web
– Formal and informal teaching and learning
– Learning and Teaching Style
– Enhances traditional teaching methods
– Online education or web base environment (course,
– worldwide communication medium that lends itself to
the peculiar needs of international dialogue
– Email, video conferencing, chat etc.
– informational web-based tools for physicians,
patients, and their families for best practices in
clinical care, research, and education.
– Share online medical resources.
– Entertainment web sites include music, videos,
sports, games, and Online gamming.
– Electronic commerce (e-commerce) is the practice of
conducting business activities online, such as
– Business-to-consumer (B2C), Business-to-business
(B2B), Consumer-to-consumer (C2C).
– Opportunity to change its relationships with the
organizations and individuals with which it does
business-from trading partners to suppliers, from
internal customers to end customers
– Internet marketing, Internet advertising.
– operation efficiencies and reduced costs.