• Choreographer – Matthew Bourne
• Dance Company – Adventures In Motion
• Music – Pytor Iilich Tchaikovsky
• Design – Antony Ward
• Lighting Design – Howard Harrison
• Premier – August 1992, Edinburgh
• The music Tchaikovsky composed
for the ballet.
• The traditional versions of the
• Victorian representations of
Sources of vocabulary
• The scenario created by Bourne and
• Tchaikovsky's music.
• A wide range of cultural, social, historical
and filmic sources.
• Characterisations developed by the
• Design – e.g. The huge wedding cake.
• Huge variety of pedestrian gestures, mime
and action content linked to different
characters and to the requirements of the
• Wide ranging eclectic action content – linked
to film and musical theatre sources, different
techniques, social and historical dancers,
quotations from other works, use of props.
• Proximity/distance, small detailed/large extended
action all determined by narrative.
• Projected theatrical focus – at times exaggerated,
lends itself to caricature.
• Complex pathways – linear and curved, linked to
• Tendency to linear/angular body designs,
occasionally curved, linked to specific dances.
• Line ups/tableaux, formal group designs using
• Speed gives a driving sense of pace to the
• A wide range and somewhat exaggerated
sense of dynamics and flow linked to
characters – e.g. Nutcracker doll is jerky when
he comes alive, Cupids plod humorously.
• Linked to musical quality – typically a
complementary relationship as in ballet.
• Repetition, recycling, variation on a theme,
canon, unison, contrast, complementing.
• Traditional motif development.
• Phrasing and rhythmic structure – music
visualisation (as in classical ballet).
• Divided into two acts, subdivided into main
scenes and shorter episodes.
Christmas Eve at Dross’ orphanage for waifs and
• Preparations for a visit
• Presents and party pieces
• Time for bed
• The revolt
A Frozen Lake:
• The rival
The Road to Sweetieland
• Help from above
• By invitation only
• The wedding party
• Real life
Prince Bon Bon
The Wedding Photo