Meeting of Voluntary Sector Substance Misuse Network
Powys Drugs and Alcohol Centre, Llandrindod Wells
14 January 2005
Present: Liz Rees PDAC
Neil Carter PDAC
Geoff Bell Brynawel House
Andrew Williams Brynawel House
Trish Leighton Re-Solv
Warren Hawksley Re-Solv
Niall Casserly Newlink Wales
Shirley Yendell Newlink Wales
Philip Flanagan Interchange /Ffynnon
Stephanie Hoffman Drugaid
Jean Harrington TEDS
Roger Duncan Swansea Drugs Project
Martin Blakebrough Kaleidoscope
Anette Rumble Rhoserchan
Melanie Perry PRISM
Gerald Rowbottom WGCADA
Melanie Perry Prism
Sarah Jones Pen yr Enfys- Dyfrig House
Aneurin Owen CAIS
Phil Jarrold WCVA
Delyth Higgins WCVA
1. Welcome and Introductions
Phil Jarrold welcomed everyone to the meeting and introductions were made.
2. Apologies for absence
Apologies for absence were received from Peter Roberts (Gwent Alcohol Project),
Norman Preddy (WGCADA) Steve Worobec and Glyn Davies (Turning Point),
Steve Lyons (Inroads), and Mike Blanche (Drugs and Family Support).
3. Minutes of last meeting and matters arising
The minutes of the 15 October 2004 meeting were accepted as accurate with the
following amendments: the corrections of the spelling of Niall Casserly’s name
and changing the agency name of Neil Carter to PDAC.
The chair raised the issue about membership of the network, and gave the example
of Tai Trothwy, who provide key substance misuse services and yet as the terms
of reference stood would not be eligible to be a member of the network as it was
not a ‘ voluntary organisations whose primary purpose is work in the field of
substance misuse in Wales’. Following much discussion it was decided to amend
the terms of reference to include organisations who had a dedicated substance
misuse service within a wider remit. It was stressed that only representatives of
the dedicated service should be allowed to attend meetings.
Action: Re-draft and circulate Terms of Reference as information.
Niall Casserly gave a quick update on the All Wales Training Needs Analysis,
stating that the quantative research was nearing its conclusion, and that response
levels had been very high. The qualative phase was being rolled out in a series of
workshops on training needs of commissioners managers and workers. Two
events had already taken place and were well attended and more were scheduled
4. Election of Officers and representative to Ministerial meetings
Phil Jarrold explained the commitment role of a Chair and invited any
nominations. Several members stated that they preferred WCVA to remain as an
‘independent’ chair as the network was still in its infancy, but that the situation
could change in the future as the Network developed. Phil accepted this decision
but suggested that a sub group of representatives be established to help inform
agenda items and provide more practical expertise and knowledge when needed.
Jean Harrington agreed to be the Network’s representative at the Edwina Hart
Ministerial meetings, with Melanie Perry as an alternate.
Decision: WCVA to remain as Chair of the Network. Andrew Williams and
Roger Duncan (as ApoSM rep.) to form the sub group, together with Jean
Harrington and Melanie Perry due to their ministerial meetings roles.
5. Report from APoSM
Roger Duncan gave a detailed report of the last meeting of the Advisory Panel on
Substance Misuse, which took place on 3 December. He mentioned that there had
been a slight improvement as there are now more people on the panel that have
experience in the field of substance misuse. He noted that there was a presentation
from Karen Eveleigh of the Assembly and that she highlighted three tasks for
action; standardisation of data collection, performance indicators and to get a
research agenda drafted. She also stated that there was money available for
research projects. Roger also gave a list of other groups that were being
1. Group on promoting user involvement
2. Group on promoting involvement of carers
3. Group on resources
4. Group on education and the prevention framework
5. Group to look at collecting better information on alcohol deaths and
especially alcohol poisonings, alongside drug deaths.
Some members noted that they had been approached to participate in some of
these groups but that the process seemed somewhat arbitrary and this concerned
people. It was agreed that a letter would be sent to the chair of APoSM outlining
issues around co-ordinating discussion with the Network, and the role of the
Network in appointing representatives tgo various joint working groups.
Action: Letter to be drafted and sent to chair of APoSM
6. Presentation on Unified Assessment and Care Management
Howard Teague from the Social Services Inspectorate for Wales and John
Lenaghan, Head of Substance Misuse Policy Development Team gave a
presentation on Unified Assessment and Care Management. They also answered
questions from members, who were generally not aware of the process, what it
involved and how it related to them and their work.
Issues of concern for members centred around confidentiality and problems of
sharing information with others, especially statutory sector bodies.
It was agreed that members would forward any comments or concerns to Phil at
WCVA in order for a letter to be sent to Howard for him to take to the Advisory
Panel on Unified Assessment meeting. The following agreed to act as consultees
on this task: Neil Carter, Jean Harrington, Martin Blakebrough and Scott Graham
Howard stressed the importance if voluntary agencies engaging with their Local
Implementation Board on the issue of Unified Assessment, and will forward a list
of lead officers in each area to WCVA to circulate.
It was also agreed that the powerpoint presentation would be circulated to all
members of the Network.
Circulate the powerpoint presentation to members.
Circulate list of lead officers.
All members to send comments to WCVA to inform letter to Howard.
7. Network’s submission to the Social Justice Committee’s Substance
Misuse Policy Review
Phil explained that Delyth had contacted the Committee clerk and ascertained that
the review will continue until the end of the year and so concluded that there is no
immediate rush to submit the document. He invited comments from members and
amendments were noted.It was agreed that the following people would present
evidence to the Committee if requested: : Aneurin Owen, Stephanie Hoffman,
Martin Blakebrough, Gerald Rowbottom and Roger Duncan.
Action: WCVA to amend document in light of comments.
8. Section 64 grants
The decision by the Assembly Government to terminate the Section 64 funding
scheme was discussed. Warren Hawksley stated that Re-Solv’s project will soon
be coming to an end because of the changes in the section 64 grants. Andrew
Williams also mentioned that he was awaiting a response about Brynawel House’s
funding and would feedback at the next meeting if relevant.
9. Applications for membership
Phil explained that most of the questionnaires sent out had been returned but those
who hadn’t would be sent another copy. Martin asked if it would be possible to
have a document outlining who the different members were and some detail about
what they did? Phil agreed that WCVA had this information from the completed
questionnaires and would modify it into a ‘directory’.
Action: WCVA to form a directory of members and their work.
10. Any Other Business
Warren Hawksley asked if information could be sought on the relationship
between the All Wales Schools Programme and the voluntary sector. Phil agreed
that WCVA would attempt to do this.
Action: WCVA to find out information.
It was noted that a project managed by Inroads has been closed at short notice due
to withdrawal of Police funding.
11. Future meetings
It was decided that the date of the next meeting was Monday April 11 at a venue
in Mid Wales. It was agreed that an alternative venue be sought to accommodate
the attending meetings.