CLASSICAL: Includes standard repertoire by Bach, Beethoven, Chopin, and
other composers from the Baroque, Classical Romantic, or 20th-century.
NON-CLASSICAL: Popular, Country, Hymns, or original compositions.
SONATINA: One or more movements from a Sonatina by any composer. The
word ‘Sonatina’ must be included in the title of the piece.
SONATA: One movement of a sonata from any period of music. Honorary Chairperson,
Indiana’s First Lady
RAGTIME: Any piece in the style of Scott Joplin Rags.
JAzz, BLuES & BOOGIE: Any piece in the jazz, blues, or boogie style.
ENSEMBLE: More than one player at one piano.
SPECIAL CATEGORIES JuST FOR 2010 - To honor the 200th
Anniversary birth of the composers:
ChOPIN: Any original composition by Chopin-no simplified arrangements. 2010 Indiana State Fair
SChuMANN: Any original composition by Schumann-no simplified arrangements.
Young Hoosier State
FOUR REGIONAL SITES!
Choose the closest region to you! Piano Competition
1 Central region - Sun. June 6 & 2 WeSt Central region - Sat. June 12
Sat. June 26 presented by
Piano SolutionS Covenant PreSbyterian ChurCh
290 West Carmel Drive • Carmel, IN 46032 211 Knox Drive • West Lafayette, IN 47906
3 Southern region - Wed. June 9 4 northern region - Sat. June 19
Saint JoSePh County PubliC library Indiana State Fair 1202 East 38th Street Indianapolis, IN 46205
FirSt united MethodiSt ChurCh www.indianastatefair.com
618 8th Street • Columbus, IN 47201 304 South Main Street • South Bend, IN 46601
PRELIMINARY ROuND GuIDELINES:
2010 Indiana State Fair Young 1. Pianists audition in the order in which the entries were received.
Hoosier State Piano Competition Note: Performance times will be announced after all entries are received.
2. Pianists may NOT perform the same piece of music when entering more than
presented by one category.
3. ALL pianists must audition in person.
4. Preliminary round performances must be between 2-5 minutes and may be
The 154th Annual Indiana State Fair is jam-packed with exciting, enriching activities from memory or with printed music.
for the whole family, and the 2010 Young hoosier State Piano Competition is no 5. The competition has four regional sites to choose from. See locations on back
exception. This event invites young pianists from around the state to perform and of brochure.
compete in a unique musical setting. The Young Hoosier State Piano Competition is • Central Region: June 6 and June 26
open to ALL pianists ages 5 to 22 who are residents of Indiana. The Competition ac- • West Central Region: June 12
cepts and encourages ALL levels of piano performance and ALL styles of piano • Southern Region: June 9
music. Special thanks to the sponsor of this event Piano Solutions. • Northern Region: June 19
6. Each participant, in all categories and age levels, will be heard by a panel of
ENTRY GuIDELINES: (entry deadline May 3, 2010) judges. Please bring the original score and two (2) copies for the judges to
1. Return the completed entry form with NON-REFuNDABLE $20 entry fee view during your audition. Judging will be on the following:
($5 per additional category/$20 per Ensemble) (check or money order a) Mastery of Music d) Animation
payable to the Indiana State Fair or credit card information) to: b) Dynamics e) Technique
Indiana State Fair - Entry Department • Young Hoosier State Piano c) Rhythm
Competition • 1202 East 38th Street • Indianapolis, IN 46205 7. Top finalists from each region will be notified via email of their advancement to
2. Entry forms MUST be postmarked by May 3, 2010. the Final Round of the Competition. In addition, finalist names will be posted
3. All pianists MUST apply by mail; NO TELEPHONE ENTRIES. on the Piano Solutions website, www.pianosolutions.net.
4. All entrants MUST be a legal resident of Indiana through August 31, 2010. 8. Each finalist will be invited to play a 30-minute program during the Fair in the
5. Only for piano performances. Ellison Bakery Home & Family Arts Building (music may be used).
6. All participants will receive three (3) complimentary Indiana State Fair tickets,
commemorative Young Hoosier State Piano Competition pin and T-shirt. REGIONAL AND FINAL COMPETITION:
7. The competition consists of five separate age divisions, age as of June 1, 2010. 1. Regional finalists will advance to the Final Round on August 7, 8, and 14 at the
Youth - Ages 5-8 Sr. Teen - Ages 16-18 Indiana State Fair.
Junior - Ages 9-12 Collegiate - Ages 18-22 2. Finalists will be invited to play a 30-minute public performance representing the
Mid-Teen - Ages 13-15 2010 Young Hoosier State Piano Competition in the Ellison Bakery Home &
8. The competition consists of nine categories: Classical, Non-Classical, Family Arts Building. On the Public Performance Day, each regional finalist will
Sonatina, Sonata, Ragtime, Jazz, Blues & Boogie, Chopin, Schumann, & present (1) 30-minute performance (music allowed). An appointed day and
Ensemble. Definition of each category on back of brochure. time will be given to each pianist after the completion of each region.
9. Awards will be presented in all divisions and categories at the completion of 3. At the Final Round each pianist will be REQUIRED to present a 4-6 minute
the competition August 7, 8 & 14.
4. Pianists may NOT perform the same piece of music in more than one category.
5. The Final Round for all divisions will be held in the 3rd floor auditorium of the
Ellison Bakery Home & Family Arts Building. Starting time for all divisions will
Mail Completed Entry Form: For competition questions be announced.
Indiana State Fair - Entry Department Cheryl Everett - Piano Event Coordinator 6. Finalists must provide the judges with one original copy of their music. Failure
Young Hoosier State Piano Competition email@example.com OR to do this will result in disqualification in the Regional and the Final Round
1202 East 38th Street • Indianapolis, IN 46205 Greg Durthaler - Competition State Director Competitions.
firstname.lastname@example.org 7. The finalists will be presented awards at the end of each division of their
(317) 582-1946 or (888) 582-1946