Who is the AARP?
• The AARP is the American Association for
• The AARP is a nonprofit nonpartisan
membership organization for people 50 and
• They provide information and resources;
advocate on legislative consumer and legal
• The AARP assists members to serve their
communities and offer a wide range of
unique benefits, special products, and
services for our members.
What does the AARP do?
• The AARP foundation provides direct
services to senior citizens, particularly in
the areas of consumer advocacy, legal
assistance, tax counseling, job training and
placement, and health care and long term
• A national program, AARP Foundation
Litigation is supported by the AARP as well
as by many private foundations and
• AARP foundation works in communities
using volunteers as well as professional
• It is a 501(c)(3), nonpartisan, tax exempt
organization that does not conduct lobbying
or political activities.
Computers and Technology
• The AARP provides expertise help in the
computer field for people over 50.
• Their web site provides a list of commonly
asked questions on computers and
• Their help makes elderly peoples time on
their computers easier and more time
Health & Wellness
• They provide information to the elderly to
help them with their awareness of health
topics and concerns.
• They also provide information concerning
the issues of caregiving for the elderly.
• They provide information concerning health
insurance options, Medicare, and nursing
• The AARP is heavily involved in legal
• Affordable Prescription drug coverage
• Campaign finance reform
• Electric Utility Restructuring
• Nursing Home Reform for better care
Leisure and Fun
• Discounts on vacation packages, car rentals,
hotels, flights, entertainment and
attractions,cruise lines,and computers are
some of the benefits that come along with
being a member of the AARP.
• The AARP helps people deal with the
transitions and challenges of aging.
• Changing jobs, creativity, end of life issues,
financial planning, funeral and burial costs,
grief and loss, power of attorney, wills and
probate & living trusts, and working
Money and Work
• The AARP provides advice on news, tips
and discussions on money and work
• Financial Planning
• Consumer issues
• Work issues for people over 50
• Wise spending
• The AARP has a research staff that
investigates all issues of concern for people
involved with the group.
• Research is basic to everything that the
• Since most of the members of the AARP
are retired they stress the importance of
devoting the majority of their time to
volunteer work to help people less fortunate
than they are.
• Food drives, meals on wheels, tax help, and
Why is the AARP important?
• The AARP is important because it gives
people who are 50 and over a place to spend
their new found time.
• It provides a very important discounting
system for its members which enables them
to do more with the money they have so that
they can enjoy their retirement.
5 Related Web Sites