COLLEGE OF THE DESERT
HEALTH SCIENCES/ECE DIVISION
Early Childhood Education Advisory Committee Meeting
ATTENDING: Dianne Russom, Susie Dauto, Julie Stenger, Donna Greene, Cathy Knudsen, Leslie Young, Ifthicka Nissar, Gayle
Clark, Jackie Leany, Geri Sutton, Debra Loukatos, Patricia Dorado, Joan Prehoda, Beatriz Machiche
TOPIC DISCUSSION ACTION
Call to order by Leslie Young at
Welcome and Introductions Leslie Young, HS/ECE Dean, welcomed all members. Self-introductions Informational.
Dianne Russom is new Director @ CDC. Goal is accreditation NA EYC
Donna Greene is new full-time ECE faculty @ COD
ECE Program updates Per agenda, brief update on all items. Informational.
Committee Input Wendy Sanders asked for discussion on what the needs are in the List of ideas / topics for further
Coachella Valley for children, child care, providers, and parental discussion on implementation.
interaction with childcare providers. Roundtable brainstorming as
1. Trained ECE providers with knowledge / needs.
2. Language to communicate with parents.
3. Diverse education to meet needs of parents
4. Educational component to serve families, not just the children in
5. Recognition of generational differences – how we do what we do
6. Awareness and access to resources and programs.
7. Centers need networking for cooperation – not competition for $.
8. Serve and act as proponent for children / childcare
9. Children and families must feel valued – cultural differences
10. Respect for children for who they are NOW, not who we want
them to become as adults.
TOPIC DISCUSSION ACTION
Committee Input (continued) 11. Holistic view of children. Must include mental health (direct and
reflective stress from parents / environment) as well as physical
health / exercise components.
12. Support providers to do their job / needs, classroom & resource
support includes mental health issues for providers too.
13. Insurance & health needs. More LOCAL resources identified and
tapped so that parents & children do less travel outside of CV for
14. Trained analysis about what is developmentally appropriate.
Teachers, staff, and administrators all need to understand age
15. Teachers need to remain current with ECE research & practices.
Perhaps better continuing educational opportunities and/or
requirements? Info sharing for resources – gov‟t. and private
funding, programs, etc.
16. Recognize that there is a nutritional facet to childhood and
learning. Parents must also be aware of these needs.
17. What exactly does „economy‟ issue mean to childhood programs?
18. Language development needs – for teachers to develop high
quality teacher/child interaction.
19. Child guidance / classroom leadership (disciplined growth),
facilitation for groups of children.
Stan Little Conference May 2, 2009. Call for presenters will be going out in beginning of Informational.
November. It was noted that packets of presenter‟s materials / notes were
greatly appreciated by participants last year.
COD curriculum et al. Infant / Toddler class needed EVERY year. ECE certificate reflecting Still on faculty / departmental agenda
school age and special needs children still needed. to complete.
Question on Montessori training and college credit towards degree Training must be via college or
programs. university programs only due to
accreditation issues and “paper trail”
in order to count towards degrees.
Possible 3 credit course on ECE & Family In development.
Other November 8, 2008 – Professional Growth Advisor training (afternoon) Informational
More info to come.
Ifthika “Shine” Nissar will be participating in the LA Marathon and
encourages any/all to walk with her in March, 2009.
Adjournment 10:45 a.m.
Next Meeting March 2009 – time & location TBA