QUICK FACTS • Shift work including evenings, nights, weekends and
holidays may be required to meet deadlines.
• Install, repair and maintain pipes and other
plumbing fixtures. • The wage range for a plumber in southeastern Alberta is
between $18.00 to $25.00 per hour.
• Irregular hours may be required.
• For additional information, visit www.alis.gov.ab.ca
• Ability to work within a team as well as alone. (NOC#7251).
• Flexibility with client’s wants and needs.
NATURE OF WORK WHAT EMPLOYERS LOOK FOR
• Reading blueprints for new projects (systems). • Journeyman plumbing / gas fitting certificate.
• Repairing and replacing existing and out-dated • Knowledgeable of current standards and codes.
systems. • Minimum of 1-2 years experience of drain
• Maintenance of existing systems. cleaning.
• Locating and marking positions for pipes and • Ability to read blueprints.
fixtures. • Problem solver.
• Measuring and cutting holes in walls or floors to • Ability to work within a team as well as
fit pipes and fixtures. independently.
• Connecting joints and pipes together. • Ability to pay attention to detail.
• Using hand and power tools. • Mechanically inclined.
• Checking for leaks. • Able to work in cramped spaces.
• Some heavy work is required.
• Standing, crouching, digging and working in
• Work involves both indoor and outdoor
• Work is available at the company location,
within the local area and throughout southeast
• Transportation is required to get to and from
• Work is full-time and year-round.
• Regular overtime is available.
Produced by Alberta Employment, Immigration and Industry -1- Southeast Alberta March 2007
For more information about this and other employment in Southeast Alberta, please visit the Alberta Employment,
Immigration and Industry office in Medicine Hat, in the Lower Level of the Provincial Building, #5, 346 – 3 Street SE (call
403-528-5299), or the Alberta Employment, Immigration, and Industry office in Brooks, Suite 200, 600 Cassils Road E.,
(call 403-362-1278). www.gov.ab.ca/hre/south
RELATED TRAINING OPPORTUNITIES POTENTIAL EMPLOYERS
• On-the-job training is provided. • Action Auger, Brooks & Medicine Hat
• Apprenticeship opportunities are available through (www.actionauger.com)
the Medicine Hat College (www.mhc.ab.ca). • Alberta Plumbing Depot, Brooks
• Check local area high schools for information on the • Bassano Plumbing & Heating, Bassano
Registered Apprenticeship Program (RAP) or similar
programs that may be available to high school • Baumann’s Ventilation & Plumbing, Medicine Hat
• For more information, visit the Alberta Advanced • Berger’s Plumbing & Co., Medicine Hat
Education Apprenticeship and Industry Training • Brooks Plumbing & Heating
office located in the Medicine Hat Provincial Building • Christianson’s Plumbing & Heating, Medicine Hat
or visit their website at www.tradesecrets.gov.ab.ca.
• Harvey’s Plumbing & Heating, Brooks
• Visit the Corporate Education Network for
• Hidden Valley Plumbing & Heating, Brooks
additional training opportunities specifically in
Southeast Alberta (www.cenetwork.ca). • Leipert Plumbing & Heating, Medicine Hat
• Panther Mechanical Services, Medicine Hat
• Pro Flow Plumbing & Heating Corp., Medicine Hat
HOW TO APPLY • Sanatec Environmental, Medicine Hat
• Hiring procedures vary depending on the employer. (www.sanatecenvironmental.ca)
Generally, job seekers are to submit a resume or • Sinclair Plumbing & Heating, Hanna
complete a company application form.
• Stark’s Plumbing, Heating & Electrical, Medicine Hat,
• Apply in person, by email, mail or by fax directly to (www.starks.ca)
the company office.
• Wil-Den Mechanical Ltd., Medicine Hat
• In some cases, a company application form may be
available on-line at the company website.
• An individual interview may follow.
• Check www.jobbank.gc.ca for current job listings in
Produced by Employment, Immigration and Industry -2- Southeast Alberta March 2007
Note: The employers listed here have been compiled from regional public business directories and is not meant to be authoritative or
all-inclusive. Employers are encouraged to contact AEII at (403)528-5299 to provide changes of information. AEII will assume
responsibility of information maintenance as needed. However readers are encouraged to contact employers directly regarding
current employment opportunities including other related employment details not listed in this profile. www.gov.ab.ca/hre/south