Stephen H. Braun, Ph.D.
Experienced behavioral health professional, dedicated to the administration and delivery of high-quality
and cost-effective clinical services. Established record of innovation and program development, with
proven ability to design, implement and direct complex multi-million dollar projects. Demonstrated
expertise in clinical operations, quality management, information technology, and executive leadership.
Licensed doctoral level clinical psychologist with extensive experience in corporate, commercial, public
sector, and private practice settings. Demonstrated excellence in collaboration and communication.
Chief Executive Officer 2004 - Present
Braun and Associates, Scottsdale, Arizona
The following projects have been completed for national managed care companies and government
• Design and conduct evaluation research for ASU School of Social Work., and prepare final report.
School received full accreditation, with special commendation for evaluation program.
• Serve as lead writer for quality management for a major Medicaid behavioral health contract proposal
(project was awarded the contract).
• Serve as Technical Advisor to Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services for research, data analysis
and report preparation.
• Provide executive leadership for program implementation and account management for commercial
behavioral health accounts in seven states.
• Design and implement disease management, case management and care management programs for
behavioral health at the corporate and health plan levels.
• Design and implement integrated clinical protocols and operations across behavioral health, primary
care, specialty care and pharmacy management at the corporate and health plan levels.
• Design and implement evidence-based best practices for clinical operations at the health plan and
contracted provider levels.
• Design and implement Monthly Operating Reports and Key Indicator Reports for Senior Executive
Management across all operational levels of the managed care company.
• Design and implement statewide Quality Improvement system and operations for behavioral health
• Develop statewide primary care, behavioral health care and long-term care provider networks for
national health plans.
Adjunct Faculty, School of Social Work 2007 - 2008
Arizona State University, Tempe, Arizona
• Teach Graduate Course: SWG 619: Practice-Oriented Research: Techniques for monitoring and
evaluating service delivery efforts to increase the likelihood of positive outcomes for clients.
Stephen H. Braun, Ph.D. Page Two
Vice President, Quality Management 1999 - 2004
ValueOptions Arizona Service Center, Phoenix, Arizona
• Served as a Member of the Corporate Implementation Team to develop contract proposal, and
designed and implemented one of the largest Medicaid behavioral health programs in the country.
• Served as a Member of the Executive Management Team, making policy and strategic decisions
regarding operational budget, clinical operations, and information technology for the Service Center.
• Designed, implemented and directed the Quality Management Program. Served as Chairperson of the
Quality Management and Utilization Management Committee.
• Directed the operations of the following departments: Reporting and Analysis, Provider Monitoring,
Performance Improvement, Outcome Evaluation, Risk Management, Grievances and Appeals, Legal
Counsel, and HIPAA and Regulatory Compliance.
• Directed the Service Center’s preparation for, and response to, the Arizona Department of Health
Services Annual Administrative Review. Achieved 98% compliance for the Service Center.
• Served as Lead for the ValueOptions Executive Steering Committee for the response to the 2003
Request for Proposals for the five-year $4.5 billion contract. Contract was awarded to ValueOptions.
Vice President, Quality Management 1997 - 1999
Value Behavioral Health and ValueOptions, Falls Church, Virginia.
• Developed and implemented Corporate standards, goals and objectives, policies and procedures, and
operational strategies for Quality Management Programs for Public Sector programs nationwide.
• Developed and implemented compliance monitoring initiatives for external regulatory and contractual
requirements, and for National Commission on Quality Assurance (NCQA) standards.
• Developed responses to requests for proposals, provided sales and marketing support, and directed
product development and program implementation initiatives for quality management and clinical
program initiatives for Public Sector, Commercial Sector, HMO and EAP programs nationwide.
• Served as Member of the Corporate Merger Transition Team for Value Behavioral Health and
Options Health Care.
Director of Clinical Services 1995 - 1997
Community Partnership of Southern Arizona, Inc., Tucson, Arizona
• Served as a Founder of CPSA, the Regional Behavioral Health Authority responsible for Medicaid
managed behavioral health care in Southern Arizona.
• Served as the Director of Clinical Services, and as a Member of the Executive Management Team.
• Designed, implemented and directed the Quality Management Program, the Utilization Management
Program, the Intensive Case Management Program, and the Management Information System.
• Collaborated and coordinated with the Board of Directors, the Arizona Department of Health
Services, providers, consumers and advocacy groups.
Vice President for Operations and Clinical Services 1991 - 1995
Arizona Health Care Contract Management Services, Inc. Phoenix, Arizona
• Served as a Founder of AHCCMS, a private for-profit behavioral health care corporation. Member
and Secretary, Corporate Board of Directors.
• Designed, implemented and directed inpatient, residential, outpatient and home-based programs for
seriously mentally ill adults, developmentally disabled adults, severely emotionally disturbed
adolescents, and adjudicated juveniles.
• Developed and administered information systems and clinical management systems.
• Negotiated and administered contracts with professional staff, government and private agencies.
• Directed and administered licensure and accreditation operations for all programs. Obtained JCAHO
accreditation for inpatient and residential programs.
Stephen H. Braun, Ph.D. Page Three
Private Clinical Practice 1979 – 1991
Provided psychodiagnostic assessment and cognitive behavioral therapy to children, adolescents, adults,
couples and families.
President, Braun and Associates 1979 – 1991
Human Service Program Consultants, Scottsdale, Arizona.
• Founder and Chief Executive Officer of national human service program consulting company.
• Consultation to private and governmental organizations at the national, regional and local levels with
regard to human service program planning and implementation, research and program evaluation,
management information systems, resource allocation and utilization, quality management and
utilization management, and staff performance and education.
• Clients included: Alcohol, Drug Abuse and Mental Health Administration, United States Department
of Health and Human Services; United States Department of Justice; National Institute of Mental
Health; National Association of State Alcohol and Drug Abuse Program Directors; Western Interstate
Commission on Higher Education; Arizona Department of Corrections; Arizona Department of
Economic Security; Arizona Department of Health Services; Maricopa County Department of Health
Services; City of Phoenix Police Department; City of Phoenix Fire Department; public and private
sector behavioral health companies; and other organizations.
• Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology
University of Missouri, Columbia. Program approved by the American Psychological Association.
Minor in Experimental Psychology/Research Design and Analysis.
• Clinical Psychology Internship
Veteran's Administration Hospital and Stanford University , Palo Alto, California. Internship
approved by the American Psychological Association.
• M.A. in Clinical Psychology
Washington University, St. Louis. Program approved by the American Psychological Association.
• B.A. in Psychology
Washington University, St. Louis, Missouri
PREVIOUS ACADEMIC APPOINTMENTS
• Adjunct Assistant Professor, Arizona State University. Tempe, Arizona.
Department of Psychology. Teaching graduate seminars and undergraduate courses. Member
of thesis and dissertation committees. Supervision of graduate clinical practice.
Center for Justice Studies. Teaching graduate seminars. Member of thesis committees.
Center for Public Affairs. Teaching graduate seminars. Member of thesis committees.
• American Psychological Association
• Society of the Sigma Xi, Professional Research Honorary
Stephen H. Braun, Ph.D. Page Four
• National Institute of Mental Health. Research, develop and evaluate statewide service delivery
systems for persons with serious mental illness.
• National Institute of Mental Health. Design and implement statewide uniform mental health
• National Institute of Mental Health. Develop statewide mental health community support systems.
• National Institute of Mental Health. Design statewide mental health staff development systems.
• National Institute on Drug Abuse. Design and implement statewide uniform alcohol and drug
abuse information systems.
• National Institute on Drug Abuse. Design and implement drug abuse incidence, prevalence and
service utilization reporting systems.
• Licensed Psychologist, State of Arizona, #242.
• Available upon request.