Blast off to learning with
Pearre Creek Elementary
A Little About Mrs. Joye:
1. I’m from Martin, TN and went to the University of Tennessee at Martin.
2. My 1st teaching job was at my “old” elementary school.
3. When I moved to middle TN, I worked for the State Department of Education until I started a
4. Now, I’m excited to be back in the classroom!
5. The Best for Last: I’ve been married to my college sweetheart for almost 11 years, and we have 2
AWESOME children together!
Our Classroom Rules:
(Living above the line!)
1. BE RESPECTFUL.
2. BE RESPONSIBLE.
3. BE SAFE.
* I will use Second Step, Life Skills, Quantum Learning, & other Character Education programs.
Our Positive Reinforcement:
* Mrs. Joye’s Jewel Jar
* Cosmic Cash
* Lunch on Fridays
* Warm Fuzzies
3rd Grade Grading Scale:
* 91-100= A
* 81-90= B
* 72-80= C
* 70-71 = D
* 69 and below=F
* I will shoot for at least one grade per subject per week.
* We will grade papers in class A LOT!
* An “M” will be put in Gradespeed for Missing work.
* Math ‟ enVision Math by Pearson
(very interactive & has lots of computer based opportunities)
* Language Arts (90 Minute Balanced Literacy)
Reading Workshop ( Independent, Guided, Shared)
Writing Workshop (Independent, Guided, Shared)
Spelling ( Developmental Spelling Words/ Tests)
Word Study ( Phonics, Vocabulary, Sight Words)
* Social Studies
Family, Community, Traditions, Resources
* Science (we use interactive science kits)
* Cursive (Zaner-Bloser) ‟ not until 4th nine weeks
(3rd Grade Policy)
* We will have approximately 30 minutes of “homefun” a night. They need to read for 20 minutes, study their
spelling words, and work with their math flash cards (once we start working on multiplication & division).
* Please have your child document their reading on the reading log in their take-home folder. An M will be
placed in Gradespeed if the log is not complete, and they will lose points for each day it is late.
* They will also receive a “homework packet” on Fridays that will be due on Thursday of the following week.
It might include purposeful practice.
* “My Memoirs”: They will write a letter each week to their parents about what they are reading and doing in
school. Please write a short note back over the weekend. It means the world to them!
* HOMEFUN IS A GRADE LEVEL POLICY!
* Take-Home Folder & Agenda
* Report Cards
* E-mail : email@example.com
* Sharepoint Website:
* School Number: 615-472-5150
(ICE ‟ have office call my room)
* Please respect student’s learning, my instructional time, and my “home time”.
Take Home Folder:
* The silver everyday Take Home Folder will contain all correspondence between
parents and school.
* The front pocket will be for anything that needs to come back.
* It could possibly contain unfinished work from school, which should be finished at
home and returned the next day.
* The back pocket will be for anything that stays at home (tests, graded homework, class
practice work, etc).
* The student Agenda will be in the “Come Back” side of this folder.
* Daily Snack @ 10:10
* Please send healthy snacks. No candy please.
*Workable snack (not messy)
* Please send only water to drink.
* Please make every effort to avoid sending items that contain peanuts
or peanut butter.
Birthday Treats / Invitations:
* We encourage you to donate a class book to our classroom library.
We will put a name plate in the book with your child’s name in it.
* If you do want to do a treat it will have to be purchased from the
cafeteria during lunch.
* Please do not pass out birthday invitations at school.
* Lunch is from 12:10 p.m. -12:40 p.m.
* Child Lunch $2.50/ $0.45 for milk/Adult Lunch $3.00
* You can sign up on www.mynutrikids.com to pay for lunch.
* Checks should be sent in on Mondays in a sealed envelope with your
child’s name on it.
* You are welcome to eat with your child ‟but space is limited. Please say
goodbye to your child in the cafeteria.
* If you are eating with your child, please bring your own sack lunch or
purchase a lunch from the cafeteria.
(PLEASE don’t bring fast food into the cafeteria)
8:30 - 8:40 a.m. Morning Work
8:40 - 9:00 a.m. Grammar
9:00 - 9:20 a.m. Writing
Monday - Art Tuesday - PE
Wednesday - Guidance/Library
Thursday - Music Friday - PE
9:20 - 10:05 a.m. Specials
10:15 - 12:00 p.m. Literacy Block
12:10 - 12:40 p.m. Lunch
12:45 - 1:45 p.m. Math
1:50 - 2:20 p.m. Science /Social Studies
2:20 - 2:50 p.m. Recess
2:50 - 3:20 p.m. Intervention
Specials / Related Arts:
* Monday - Art
* Tuesday - PE (please wear tennis shoes)
* Wednesday - Library/Guidance
(alternates each week)
* Thursday - Music
* Friday - PE (please wear tennis shoes)
Dates to Remember:
Oct. 14, 2011
Dec. 20, 2011
March 30, 2011
October 11, 1:00 ‟ 7:00 p.m.
* Don’t wait until a problem feels “big”. E-mail me and request a time to have a conference.
* $25 Workbook Fees
(checks written to Pearre Creek Elementary School)
*Student Fees are used for Consumable Materials such as:
„ Science and Social Studies Projects
„ Space Project
„ Pirate Day
„ Mother’s Day Project materials
„ End of the Year DVD’s
„ Birthday treats (pencils, stickers, etc.)
I LOVE PARENTS!
* I LOVE parent volunteers!
* Parent volunteers are needed for our classroom for various activities (like
testing students on flashcards).
„Unless necessary to be in the classroom, volunteers will be asked to work
in the hallway or in our 3rd grade “extra” rooms. They may also work in
the work room.
* Volunteers for our 3 class parties and Field Day (Class Parties are:
October 14th, December 20th, Spring - TBD)
* Please no younger siblings at parties.
* Please enroll in our PTO and in PTO Manager (www.pearrecreekpto.com) -
PTO will be sponsoring class t-shirts (information will be sent home as I
know it ).
* School begins officially at 8:35!
* Children may enter the classrooms at 8:20.
*Bus notes have to be submitted with a written note.
* Absences ‟send a note the day your child returns so that the absence is excused.
* Early dismissal must take place before 3:00 pm. This helps the office out since the end of the day can get hectic. Please use early dismissal for
* If you would like to pick up work your child is missing for the day, please call the office in the morning, and the work may be picked up
between 3:45 and 4:30 in the office.
* Work is expected to be completed within 3 days of the child’s return to class.
* Transportation ‟send a written note with your child if their “usual” way of getting home is different for the day.
* Volunteering ‟if you are hoping to volunteer in the classroom or as a field trip chaperone, please make sure the volunteer application is filled
out and fingerprinting has been completed.
* Medication ‟must be taken directly to the school nurse by you. Please send me a note so I am aware of necessary medication to be taken
throughout the day.
Thank you so much for