Name: __________________________ Class: _____________________ Date: _____________________
Macromolecules Study Guide
1. Monosaccharides –
2. Disaccharides –
3. Polysaccharides –
4. Hydrophobic –
5. Hydrophilic -
6. Protein -
7. Nucleic acid –
8. Enzymes -
9. Denaturation -
1. For each disaccharide, give an example of where it is found and what monosaccharides it is made of:
a. Sucrose –
b. Lactose –
c. Maltose –
2. For each polysaccharide, given example it where it is found and its purpose.
a. Cellulose –
b. Starch –
c. Glycogen –
d. Chitin –
3. How can herbivores digest cellulose?
4. Why can’t lipids dissolve in water?
5. What are fats made of?
6. Explain why saturated fatty acids are solid and unsaturated fatty acids are liquid.
7. How are phospholipids different than fats? What can they dissolve in?
Written by James Dauray http://www.aurumscience.com/biology.html Page 1
Name: ___________________________ Class: ______________________ Date: ____________________
8. What element do amino acids have that other molecules do not?
9. For each of the biochemical tests, know what molecule they work against, and what a positive result
Test Used to Identify… Positive Result
10. Explain what specifically determines each of the levels of protein structure:
a. Primary –
b. Secondary –
c. Tertiary –
d. Quaternary –
11. How exactly do enzymes affect the rate of chemical reactions?
12. Protein function is highly affected by protein shape. Explain how this relates to enzyme denaturation.
What can cause denaturation?
13. What enzymes are found in each of the following locations in the body, and what reaction do they
a. Mouth –
b. Stomach –
c. Duodenum -