Stocks, Sauces & Soups
1. A French word that refers to the mixture of chopped onions, carrots, & celery
that provides a flavor base for stock is
2. A bundle of fresh herbs, such as thyme, parsley stems, & a bay leaf, tied
together is an example of ________________________________.
3. A flavorful liquid made gently simmering bones and/or vegetables is
4. A highly flavored type of stock made with fish bones is a
5. A (n) ____________________________________ is a reduced stock with
jelly-like consistency, made from brown stock, chicken stock, or fish stock.
6. A (n) _____________________________________ is a rich, lightly reduced
stock used as a sauce for roasted meats.
7. The process of eliminating bones or impurities that can cause cloudiness in a
stock is ____________________________________.
8. ________________________________ causes bone & mirepoix to release
flavor more quickly when the liquid is added.
9. Frozen stock can be held for _____________________ month (s).
10. The process of removing fat that has cooled & hardened from the surface of
the stock is called __________________________________.
11. A liquid or semisolid product that adds flavor, moisture, & visual appeal to
another dish is a/an _____________________________________.
12. ________________________________ is the grand/mother sauce that is
made from milk & a white roux.
13. A rich brown sauce that is traditionally made by combining equal parts of
espagnole & veal stock is called ________________________________.
14. Creole is a derivative sauce of ______________________________.
15. A/an _______________________________ is a thickener made from equal
parts cooked flour & fat.
16. A thickener made from equal parts flour & soft, whole butter is ___________
17. A mixture of egg yolks & heavy cream, often used to finish some sauces, is
18. A cold mixture of fresh herbs, spices, fruits, and/or vegetables is called
19. A sauce made from the juice of cooked meats & brown stock is
20. A pierced-metal, cone-shaped strainer used to strain soups, stocks, & other
liquids to remove all solid ingredients is a ___________________________
21. A rich, flavorful broth or stock that has been clarified is
22. A soup that is thickened by the starch of the main ingredient, such as potatoes,
rather than an added starch, such as a roux, is a ________________________.
23. A hearty, thick soup made in much the same way as a cream soup is a/an
24. Béchamel sauce is a/an ______________________________ sauce.
25. A stock should be cooled to at least _________________________º to ensure
26. A liaison is a thickener made from a mixture of ________________________
27. Sachet d’épices and bouquet garni are known as _______________________.
28. ______________________________ is the liquid most often used when
29. List an example of a clear soup.
30. A/an ______________________________ is the thickener that is most often
used in basic cream soups.
31. The 5 grand sauces are known as mother sauces because they are __________
32. The wringing method is used to __________________________ a sauce.
33. A ________________________________ sauce is made from veal, chicken,
or fish stock & a blond roux.
34. The 2 main ingredients of béchamel are ____________________________
35. Cream soups should NEVER be _______________________________.
36. The main ingredient in bisque is usually ____________________________.
37. The correct mixture of mirepoix is __________________ onion,
_______________ celery, & ____________________ carrots.
38. Brown stock & brown roux are used to make _________________________.
39. __________________________________ sauce is the base for béarnaise
40. A _____________________________________ stock is made by simmering
poultry, beef, veal or game bones that have been browned first.
41. ___________________________________________ is a mixture of raw
butter & various flavoring ingredients, such as, herbs, nuts, citrus zest,
shallots, ginger & vegetables.
42. The process of __________________________________ removes some fat
content, making a stock healthier.
43. To _____________________________ is to slowly mix a little bit of a hot
sauce with eggs or cream to raise the temperature slowly to prevent them from
cooking or curdling.
44. Straining tomatoes with a cheesecloth or filter, so that no seeds or skins get
into the stock, is known as ________________________________________.