Bullying In Middle School
AMS takes a stand against
What is Bullying?
• Bullying- physically, mentally or
emotionally abusing another person
for personal satisfaction and to feel
a sense of empowerment over
another. It can be in a direct form,
such as teasing or taunting, or an
indirect form such as spreading
First things first!
Bullying is NOT a
NORMAL part of
No one deserves it!
Examples of Bullying
• Hitting, kicking, or pushing
someone….or just threatening to
• Stealing, hiding, or ruining
• Making someone do things he or
she doesn’t want to do
• Refusing to talk to someone
• Spreading lies or rumors
• Making someone feel left out or
What do they have in common?
They are all examples of
ways one person can make
another person feel hurt,
afraid, or uncomfortable.
If you have been
subjected to any of
repeatedly, you are a
What to do if you are a victim
• Remove yourself from the situation
• Remember you are NOT the one
with the problem, it’s the bully who
has the problem.
• Talk to an adult! It’s not “tattling” or
“snitching.” It’s asking the people
who love you to provide help when
you really need it. (parents,
• Do not keep it inside.
• Do not plan revenge against
the bully or take things into
your own hands.
Are you a bully?
Signs of a bully
1. Hot-tempered and quick to anger
3. Low tolerance for frustration
4. Difficulty conforming to rules
5. Needs to dominate others
6. Brags about his/her superiority over other
7. Aggressive toward adults
8. Tries to talk themselves out of situations
9. Little empathy
10. Engages in antisocial behavior
11. Enjoys putting down others
12. Treats animals cruelly
13. Disrespects authority
14. Enjoys fighting
15. Refuses to admit fear
Stop the behavior!
If you are a bully, STOP the
Practice self control- remember
you are the only one responsible
Bullying could lead to future
For the bully, they have to learn
1. How to cope
2. Manage their emotions
3. Communicate effectively
4. How to have a “real” relationship with
5. How to care for another’s needs
If they cannot learn to conform to society,
they could possibly lead a criminal life.
Today’s bullies can
For the victim
They have to learn how to deal with
1. Emotional scars
2. Physical scars
5. Low self-esteem
They must realize that they are not the
one with the problem. People who cannot
see that experience all of the problems
listed above and it could lead to suicide.
Columbine High School
April 20, 1999
Again, if there is trouble,
see assistance from an
adult. We are here to
You are who you are!
• Celebrate differences
• Be tolerant
• Be forgiving
• Respect yourself and