1. Anti-spam program: program that attemps to remove spam befor it reaches a users inbox.
2. Antivirus program: program that protects a computer against viruses by identifying and
removing any computer viruses found in memory and storage media or on incoming files.
3. Backup utility: utility program that allows users to copy or back up selected files or and entire
hard disk to another storage medium whick can be used if the original is lost damaged or
4. BIOS: basic input/output system firmware that contains the computers startup instructions
5. Boot disk: special disk that contains a few systems files capable of starting a computer which is
used when the computer cannot boot from its hard disk
6. Boot drive: drive from which a personal computer boots.
7. Booting: process of starting or restarting a computer
8. Buffer: segment of memory or storage in which items are placed while waiting to be transferred
from an input device or to an output device.
9. CD/DVD burning software: stand alone utility program that writes text graphics audio and video
files to a recordable or rewritable cd or dvd
10. Cold boot: proccess of turning on a computer that has been shut off completly
11. Defragmenting: reorganizing a disk so the files are storing in contiguous sectors thus speeding
up disk access and the performance of the entire computer
12. Diagnostic utility: utility program that complies technical information about a computers
hardware and certain system software programs and then prepares a report outlining any
13. Disk defragmenter: utility that reorganizes the files and unused space on a computers hard disk
so the operating system accesses data more quickly and programs run faster.
14. Disk scanner: utility that searches for and removes unnecessary files.
15. Driver: small program that tells and operating system how to communicate with a specific
16. Embedded operating system: the operating system that resides on a ROM chip inside most PDAS
17. File manager: and small devises
18. File compression utility: utility program that shrinks the size of a file so the file takes up less
storage space than the original file
19. Folder: specific named location on a storage medium that contains related documents.
20. Image viewer: utility that allows users to display copy and print the contents of a graphics file
suck as a picture
21. Job: operating that the processor manages.
22. Log on: to access a computer or network as a user.
23. Macintiosh operating system: operating system for apples macintiosh computers.
24. Media player: utility program that allows you to view images and animation listen to audio and
watch video files
25. Memory management: operating system activity that optimizes the use of random access
26. Network operating system: operating system that organizes and coordinates how multiple users
access and share resources on a network.
27. Operating system: set of programs that coordinates all the activities of a computer
28. Password: private combinations of characters.
29. Performance monitor:
30. System software: this consists of the programs that control or maintain the operations of the
computer and its devices.
31. The operating system: is a set of programs containing instructions that coordinate all the
activities among computer hardware resources.
32. Windows XP: is a fast reliable windows operating system.
33. Windows vista: it is the successor to windows XP and it has enhanced searching and organizing
34. Mac OS X: is a multitasking operating system available only for computers manufactured by
35. Unix: is a multitasking operating system developed in the early 1970s by scientists at bell
36. Linux: is a unix type of operating system.
37. Warm boot: is when the operating system restarts a computer without properly saving or
38. Utility program a type of system software that allows a user to perform maintenance type task.
39. Personal firewall: detects and protects a personal computer
40. Plug and play: technology that gives a computer the the capability to configure adapter cards
and other peripherals automatically as a user installs them.
41. Pocket PC: type of PDA
42. Pop-up blocker: filtering program that stops pop-up ads from displaying on web pages
43. Restore program: program that reverses the backup processes and returns backed up files to
their original form
44. Screen saver: utility program that causes a display devices screen to show a moving image or
blank screen if no mouse activity occurs for a specific time
45. Search utility: program that attempts to locate a file on your computer based on criteria you
46. Shortcut: icon on the desktop that provides a user with immediate access to a program or file.
47. Spooling: operating process that sends print jobs to a buffer that sends them immediately to the