This simulation will teach you about budgeting, saving, and expenses. Please make sure that you have
about 30-45 minutes to sit down and work through the simulation in one sitting rather than doing it in
pieces. As you follow along with the simulation, complete the questions/prompts on this hand-out.
Do not wait until you are done to fill out this hand-out, because you will have to go back and do it again!
1. Go to: http://www.mysavingsquest.com/ courtesy of Wells Fargo Bank.
2. Click on “Play Game”
3. Choose a character and name yourself!
4. Choose a job.
a. Which job did you choose? ____________________
b. Why? _______________________________________________________________________
5. Choose your “savings quest”.
a. Item: __________________________ Cost: $_______
b. Why did you choose this item?
6. Long Term Budgeting
a. What two things will be taken out of your monthly salary for long term savings?
1. ______________________ 2. ______________________
7. Creating your budget
a. What are the four items that are a part of your FIXED BUDGET?
1. ______________________ 2. ________________________
3. ______________________ 4. ________________________
b. What else should you set aside money for in your budget (other than your fixed items)?
8. Which apartment number did you choose? ________
a. Why did you choose that apartment?
b. What is the cost for…
Rent: $________ Utilities: $_______ Gasoline: $_________
9. What food choice did you choose? _________________________________________________
a. How much will it cost? $__________
b. Why did you make this choice?
10. How much money did you set aside to have “fun” with? $_________
a. Why did you choose this amount? ______________________________________
11. Go to “work”. In order to earn your salary, you must complete the games that are presented.
After you have completed your game you will be presented with your salary!
a. Deposit your salary and pay your bills. Also, take some time to have fun! (You will do all
of this just by clicking on the tabs on the screen.)
12. After the month 1, what are your savings? $ ___________
13. Go to work, earn your salary, pay your bills, etc.
14. What are your savings after month 2? $____________
15. Go to work, earn your salary, pay your bills, etc.
16. What are your savings after month 3? $____________
17. Go to work, earn your salary, pay your bills, etc.
18. What are your savings after month 4? $____________
19. Go to work, earn your salary, pay your bills, etc.
20. What are your savings after month 5? $____________
21. Go to work, earn your salary, pay your bills, etc.
22. After 6 months, what were your total savings? $____________
23. Did you have enough money to purchase your “savings quest” item? ___________
24. If not, what might you have done to be able to purchase it?
25. Print your circle graph that was created for you at the end of the investigation and attach it to
26. Reflect: What did you learn from this simulation?
27. Think ahead: Is there anything that you are saving to buy? If so, what type of a plan have you set
in place in order to buy this item? (If you are not saving for something, pretend you are!)
28. Feedback: What did you like about this simulation?