A Petite Review
PAGE 4 NEWSLETTER SUMMER 2010 NEWSLETTER SUMMER 2010
Message From President
From The Director’s Chair 2010 Newest Members
By Jo Diaz, Executive Director
Since April 2009
When I began keeping records on Petite Sirah, there were slightly over 60 growers and producers of Petite Sirah in California - State of Petite Sirah
combined. That was in 2002. Today, only eight years later, there are now 126 growers + 723 producers. That's 849 companies, Aver Family Vineyards (Santa Clara Valley)
TO ALL THE FRIENDS AND ADVOCATES
99 percent of them in California with a Pet Project.
CellarPass (Napa) OF PETITE SIRAH!
Here's what I've come to learn, living behind the scenes, about this intriguing cultivar. Charter Oak Winery (St. Helena)
I am honored to represent the PS I Love You board
• About 90 percent of all the producers that I've documented for the last eight years make 500 cases, or fewer, of PS per vintage. Christopher Creek (Russian River Valley)
as President for 2010.
• Winemakers for larger companies are expected to make the winery's benchmark wines, and are then allowed to have a Pet Diablo Vista Vineyards (Oakley)
Project (e.g., 12 barrels in a corner, separate from all other wines).
Diamond Ridge Vineyards (Lake County) It is rewarding to see the continued growth in sales
• The Pet Project wine is currently being sold in the wineries' tasting rooms and through their wine clubs.
of this variety.
• No outside marketing is needed as a result of complete in-house sales and promotion. Edwards Vyd. & Cellars (Ramona Valley)
• Some wine companies are quietly growing their own production by a barrel or two with each vintage, so it's growing in a Fortress Vineyards (Lake County) Our consumers are looking for a wine to drink now that also has the
manageable way. staying power that will allow them to enjoy the wines 10 or 20 years
• Winemakers love to make this wine, to satisfy their own passions...It's a winemaker's wine. Grizzly Republic Wines (Salinas)
• Other winemakers are now hanging their hats on Petite Sirah, and are taking advantage of a very small producer membership Jazz Cellars (Foster City)
level, as part of PSILY's collective marketing. I have been impressed with the many producers of Petite Sirah, both
Justice Grace Vineyards (San Francisco)
• These small producers, who are joining PSILY, are as passionate about their own Pet Projects as Robert Mondavi was, when he large and small, that have released premium vintages year after year.
first started his winery in the 1970s. Line Shack Winery (Paso Robles)
• Robert Mondavi pulled out Petite in the 1970s to replant with Cabernet Sauvignon. Today, his heirs are putting PS on their wine Maley Brothers Vineyards (Lodi) Petite Sirah was planted in our vineyard between the years of 1908-
Morse Vineyards (Fiddletown) 1911. It was always used in our popular Burgundy blend up until 1961
when my Dad as winemaker set a small lot aside and released it as the
Oakstone Winery (Sierra Foothills)
variety “Petite Sirah”.
Occasio Winery (Livermore Valley)
Old Creek Ranch Winery (Ojai Valley) It also gives me great pleasure to share a birth year “1961” with America’s
“First Petite Sirah”.
Ranchita Canyon Vineyard (San Miguel)
Robert Foley Vineyards (Angwin) A toast to the past and future of this great American Variety!
Spangler Vineyards (Umpqua Valley, OR)
Szabo Vineyards (Nevada City) Fourth Generation Vintner
TAPAS (Phoenix, AZ)
Tres Sabores Winery (St. Helena)
Jeffery Ballou Susan Dickert Cheryl Dupris
True Vine Vineyards (Somerset) Nancy Ellenbogen Joyce & Nick Feimer Lori Frederickson
Vezér Family Vineyard (Suisun Valley) Don Horst Terra Lauppe John Long
Joel Lurie Chris Petersen Bob Pettist
For more information about any of the topics covered
in this newsletter contact Jo Diaz: Newsletter Editor: Lyla Diaz Joy Poulsen Mark Scholar Erin Stewart
707.620.0788 or email@example.com
firstname.lastname@example.org Welcome to Our GrouPieS: Richard Tobey Kenneth Vogt Edward Zimmerman
NEWSLETTER PAGE 2 SUMMER 2010 PAGE 3
Dark & Delicious 2010 EIGHTH ANNUAL
Petite Sirah Noble Symposium
The Fourth Annual Dark & Delicious event was held on February 19, 2010, at Rock Wall Wine Company in Alameda. The event
sold out, welcoming about 700 Petite Sirah fans into Rock Wall’s 20,000 square foot facility in Alameda, overlooking the skyline
Coming to Concannon Vineyard - July 27, 2010
of San Francsico. This event continues to be a must-do event for fans of Petite Sirah, and the only event of its kind, combining
the passion for petite with delectible delights. Thank you to the following wineries and food companies for participating in an
7:30 - 8:30 a.m.
Wineries Registration & Continental Breakfast
Artezin Wines Gustafson Family Vineyard Robert Biale Vineyards 8:30 - 8:35 a.m.
Aver Family Vineyards Heringer Estates Rock Wall Wine Company WELCOME ~ Jim & John Concannon
Ballentine Vineyards Jazz Cellars Rosenblum Cellars 8:35 - 8:45 a.m.
Berryessa Gap Vineyards Langtry Estate & Vine- Silkwood Wines INDIVIDUAL INTRODUCTIONS
Bogle Winery yards Spangler Vineyards
Charter Oak Winery Lava Cap Winery Stags’ Leap Winery 8:45 - 9:30 a.m.
Clayhouse Line 39 Stanton Vineyard SESSION I KEYNOTE SPEAKER
Cleavage Creek Marr Cellars Stonehedge Winery Tyler Coleman, Dr.Vino.com
Concannon Vineyard Mettler Family Vineyards Trentadue Winery
David Fulton Michael~ David Vineyards Tres Sabores • The making of a more widely accepted variety
EOS Estate Winery Miro Cellars Twisted Oak 9:30 - 9:45 a.m.
F. Teldeschi Winery Mounts Family Winery Ursa Vineyards BREAK
Field Stone Winery Parducci Wine Cellars Vezér Family Vineyard
Foppiano Vineyards Vina Robles 9:45 - 10:30 a.m.
Fortress Vineyards R&B Cellars Wilson Vineyards SESSION II MARKETING
Grizzly Republic Wines Dan Berger, Vintage Experiences
Clark Smith, Grape Crafter REGISTER NOW!
Food Companies • Understanding the Terroir of Your Petite Sirah
9 Catering Fiscalini Cheese Savoy Events 10:30 - 11:15 a.m. Seating for the symposium is limited to 98
Fume Bistro of Napa
Great American Barbeque
SESSION III ENOLOGY people. Each year it’s a sell out, so please
Christophe Paubert, Stags’ Leap Winery
Lovesticks by Judy’s Breadsticks
Venga Paella • The Taming of the Shrew don’t procrastinate. If you are interested in
Marcel et Henri Charcuterie
Whole Foods Market
Wood Tavern of Oakalnd
11:15 - 11:30 a.m. reserving your space today, please register
Blue Heron Catering
Marin French Cheese
Mary’s Pizza Shack
Yoshi’s Jazz Club
Z Cioccolato 11:30 - 12:30 p.m online at: petitesirahsymposium.com.
Creative Palate Works Montibella Sausage SESSION IV VITICULTURE
Farm Fresh To You Ramekins Culinary School Larry Mettler, Mettler Family Vineyards
Paul Foppiano, Foppiano Vineyards
Bob Swain, Mendocino Wine Co. PS I Love You would like to thank our Sponsor:
• Best Farming Practices for Different Climates
12:30 - 1:30 p.m.
ANNUAL LUNCH WITH MEDIA
1:30 - 3:30 p.m.
BEST OF THE PETS MEDIA TASTING
(Bring your Petite Sirah ~ Three bottles)