Objectives and status task 1&2
• Set-up of groups and mailing lists (participants, experts,
• Set-up of Technology Watch
• needs clear focus, feeding into D3.3
• Starting proactive liaison with domains
• Main issues:
• Work centred mainly around EDM
• Gathering requirements unsuccessful: domain experts are not the
best source for that
Objectives and status task 4
• Set-up and first cycle of validation for Rhine specs
• Rhine specifications D3.1 done
• EDM development, achieving consensus
• Main issues:
• Requirement process being improved
• High-level model across domains compatible with Semantic Web
• Good coordination in WP3 management
• Specs and validation: Carlo & Mats
• Consensus and cooperation: Stefan & Makx
• Good involvement of participants and experts in developing
and proofing EDM with help from EuropeanaConnect
• Good attendance at meetings and lively discussions
• Emerging consensus (with reservations)
• “Design by Committee”
• No clear interface for requirements to specifications – Bram
takes this in hand
• WP3 objectives mixing “hard issues” (specs) with “soft
issues” (meetings, consensus) not optimal – redefine
What to improve
• Acknowledge business/project tension
• External experts or project participants?
• Need real workplan and resource planning
• WP3 resources at the Office
• Plan work against available resources
• Release schedules and roadmaps
• Communications: keep people informed across work
packages and projects (!)
• Operational: ESE, XML schemas, strings
• That’s what we have
• “Research”: flexible, open, linked data
• That’s what we need – do we?
• Domain expertise is in classic solutions
• Semantic Web/Linked Data hard to swallow
• Business objectives may be different
The big questions (for me)
• What is the business strategy?
• What exactly is Europeana?
• A portal?
• An (or the) aggregator?
• A high-quality data collection?
• A linking and enhancement service?
• What do we want to do with the content?
• That determines what technical tools we need to consider
and what “research” we need to do!
• The business roadmap should drive the development and