2010 Ethics Seminar Engineers, Inc., and Vernis and Bowling, Attorneys at Law.
Belinda Rueffer, Director of Marketing, and David C Jones,
P.E., Atlanta Branch Director, provided information about
The Education Committee of the Atlanta Claims Association Nelson Architectural Engineers, and Patty Bakmaz, Regional
held its annual Ethics Seminar for members and guests Director of Client Services, and Tim Kazee, Attorney at Law,
on Thursday, October 7, 2010, at Maggiano’s Cumberland. Vernis and Bowling of Central Florida, represented Vernis
Attendees of the sold-out seminar could earn 3.0 CEU’s and Bowling.
approved by GA Dept. of Insurance or 3.0 CLE’s approved by
the Georgia Bar. Thanks to volunteers Robin Williams, Elizabeth Pearsall, and
Kaci Rowe for assisting with registration.
The Education Committee would like to offer its sincere Patty Bakmaz, Education Chair
appreciation and thanks to the presenters, William S.
Goodman, Esq., Henning Mediation and Arbitration Services,
and Dan Brunson, Esq., Chief Claims Counsel, Assurance
America Insurance Company. Mr. Brunson’s topic. ““Ethical
and Good Faith Issues Arising from Litigation Management
Guidelines,” was very informative and generated good
interaction from the audience. Mr. Goodman’s topic, “Ethics Anatomy of a Workers’ Compensation Claim
for Advocates and Claims Representatives in Mediation,
with some Tips from an Experienced Mediator,” provided February 3, 2011 Registration: 11:30 a.m.
insight as well as practical applications related to negotiating Villa Christina Lunch: 12:00 - 1:00 p.m.
and mediating. We were fortunate to hear from two very 4000 Summit Boulevard Seminar: 1:00 - 4:30 p.m.
experienced and talented gentlemen. Atlanta, GA 30319-1448
Our luncheon keynote speaker will be Rick Thompson,
The Education Committee also wanted to express its Chairman of the Georgia State Board of Workers’
appreciation to its two sponsors, Nelson Architectural Compensation.
Claims Person of the Year Award
We are seeking nominations for the person you feel is most The winner will receive an award of $500, a trophy to display
deserving of the Claims Person of the Year Award. This award at their office and an engraved plaque.
will be presented to an individual who meets the following
requirements: If you know of someone within your company or the Association
• A member of the Atlanta Claims Association, Inc. that meets these qualifications, please complete the nomination
• Must be a full-time claims professional providing form and send to:
insurance claims services. Les Sychak, Chairman, CPOY Committee
• Anyone carrying the title Claims Manager or above will not C/O Charles Taylor Aviation
be eligible for the award. P.O. Box 681054
• Anyone whose primary function is that of an attorney will Marietta, Georgia 30068
not be eligible. (770) 977-1163 • email@example.com
• Anyone who previously won the award will not be eligible.
Deadline for all entries will be January 1, 2011. Each nominee will
The nominees will be judged on: be a guest of the Association at the March 2011 luncheon meeting
• Business ethics and the five finalists will be invited to the ACA Convention
• Business achievements Banquet in April 2011.
• Claims handling expertise
• Contributions to the industry This is a great opportunity to provide individual recognition and
• Education achievements reward exceptional contributions. Your participation will facilitate the
• Contributions to the Claims Association realization of the objectives of the ACA and is greatly appreciated.
Claims Person of the Year Award Nomination Form
Nominee Name _______________________________________________________________________________________________
What, in your opinion warrants consideration of this nominee? ____________________________________________________
In management? m Yes m No
Business address ______________________________________________________________________________________________
Member of Atlanta Claims Association? m Yes m No
Send this form to: Les Sychak, Charles Taylor Aviation • P.O. Box 681054 • Marietta, Georgia 30068 • Fax (770) 977-1163