The food analytical laboratories are in existence in the state under dept. of Public
Health. They are at following places.
1. State Public Health Laboratory, Pune.
It is the Apex Laboratory of the state & is also declared as Central Food
Laboratory for State.
2. Regional Public Health Laboratories are at
3. District Public Health Laboratories are at:-.
In addition to these MCGB has laboratory in Mumbai.
Public Analysts are appointed in these laboratories¸ who analyses the samples
and delivers it’s report¸ within 40 days from date of receipt.
The Public analyst verifies sealed portion and shall cause to analyze the
1. The analysis is done as per the methodologies laid down by
Director General of Health Services.
2. The Public analyst sends its report to the Local (Health) Authority.
Action on analytical reports :-
1) Where the sample is reported of the genuine quality¸ no further action is
needed to be taken , however if the report is found erroneous the
Local (Health) Authority is empowered to send another portion of sample from
his custody to any other public analyst for reanalysis.
2) Where the sample is reported to be adulterated or misbranded its duty of Food
Inspector to make necessary inquiry and investigation to detect the offenders.