Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program
PERSIMMONS: December 1st
• Persimmons were originally grown in ancient China. They spread to Korea and Japan. Then in the
1880’s, a United States Commander brought back a native Japanese persimmon variety to Wash-
ington, D.C. Now, persimmons are grown in California where hundreds of different varieties
• This brightly colored, glossy orange red-skinned fruit is an excellent source of vitamin A, a good
source of vitamin C, and rich in fiber.
STAR FRUIT: December 8th
• The star fruit goes by many names, including carambola, bilimbi, belimbing, Chinese star fruit,
five-angled fruit, and the star apple. It is a tropical fruit that is gaining popularity in the United
• This fruit is named because it looks like a five-pointed star shape when cut across the middle. It
has a waxy, golden yellow to green color skin with a complicated flavor combination that includes
plums, pineapples, and lemons.
• It is originally from Sri Lanka, and has grown in Southeast Asia and Malaysia for several hundred
years. Today in the USA, star fruit grows best in southern Florida and Hawaii because it needs a
• Star fruit is an excellent source of vitamin C, is low fat, and naturally sodium and cholesterol free.
CRANBERRIES: December 16th
• Cranberries grow on vines in boggy areas. Five states in America grow them and many come from
• Most cranberries are harvested by machine, but machines damage the berry. Damaged berries are
used to make cranberry juices, jellies, and cranberry sauces. Fresh whole berries are often more
expensive because they have to be hand-picked to avoid the damage caused by machine-picking.
• High in fiber and Vitamin C. The red color provides important phytonutrients to help prevent
heart disease, cancer, and age-related mental decline. Cranberries also contain compounds that
help block bacteria action and thus prevent infection.
SANTA CLAUS MELON: December 22nd
• The Santa Claus melon’s name comes from the fact that it is a late-season melon, usually harvest-
ed into December.
• Santa Claus melon has a very mild sweet flavor and a very subtle fragrance.
• Melons have a high water content, so they are relatively low in calories and are also fat-free and