Thermal Energy Assignment
Summarize your learning from the Toy Lab by writing an essay of at least
one page (both sides, skipping lines). Title the essay Energy Transfers and
Transformations. Discuss such things as which types of transformations are
most common, which kinds of toys seemed to have the most transfers, etc.
One often-overlooked type of energy is thermal energy. Thermal energy
has three methods of transfer that make it unique. Answer the following
questions about thermal energy and its methods of transfer. Use Sections
5:2 and 6:1 to complete.
1. State the Second Law of Thermodynamics.
2. Explain (in your own words) the Second Law of Thermodynamics.
3. Conduction is one method of thermal energy transfer. Explain how
energy is transferred and what must be true for conduction to occur.
4. Explain how convection works. How does this disprove the famous
(incorrect) idea that “heat rises”?
5. What is radiation? How is the transfer of heat energy in this case,
6. Why is it a good thing (a matter of life or death!) that radiation exists?
PART THREE: Attach your data table from the Toy Lab to this page so that
I can see your results.