The word panchkarma is comprising of
two words namely Pancha & Karma .
Panch means Five
Karma means Therapy (Process).
Panchakarma = Pancha +
Pancha = Five
Karma = Interms of chikitsa
whenever we do anything that is
called karma, kriya, yatna, karya,
samarambha are its synonyms.
Pratikarma is also called Chikitsa.
Panchakarma is a curative line of
treatment for all diseases which are not
amenable to shamana chikitsa.
The Five procedures of
The five methods or procedures of elimination
of vitiated doshas from the body. They are :
1. Vamana karma (Emesis therapy)
2. Virechana karma (Purgation
3. Anuvaasana therapy (Unctuous enema
4. Nirooha basti karma (Decoction
5. Nasya karma (Errhine therapy)