P.O. Box 516 Volume 9 Issue 2
Aberdeen, Maryland 21001 August 2011
The President’s Message
Upcoming Events make, whether big or small is
something to be proud of as we
Aug 2 continue our service as Lions. I am
Board Meeting certain that we will have a very
Senior Center 6:30pm productive year as we move forward
with our planned activities.
Cal Ripken World Series An Adopt A Road Clean Up will be
Trading Pin Giveaway done to spiffy up our area of
Aberdeen right before all the visitors
Aug 23 Time for Fun! arrive for the Cal Ripken World
Bay Country Gentlemen Fellow Lions,
Series. We will be meeting and
Festival Park 7pm I have been impressed by all the
greeting all 16 teams playing in the
information I have read from our
Cal Ripken World Series as we pass
Sept 6 new International President Wing-
out trading pins. I am looking
Board Meeting Kun Tam. His theme for this year
forward to having a Fun Time as we
Senior Center 6:30pm is “I Believe.” IP Tam says, “I
gather in Festival Park to enjoy
Believe” is the attitude I hope that
Sept 13 some music and Lion Fellowship.
you and all Lions have toward our
Dinner Meeting ability to change the world.” Also,
Clarion 6:30pm At our first dinner meeting, we will
“It is a personal statement from me. be welcoming 2 new Lions to our
September 30 I believe in you. I believe that every Club. We will be honored to have
BINGO FUNDRAISER Lion makes a difference.” 2nd Vice District Governor Dan
Aberdeen Fire Hall 7pm Scott who is also the District
To me, it feels as though he really
Membership Chair with us to do the
is talking to us. I do believe that
induction of new Lions.
we are making a difference in our
All Club members are community! Every effort that we
expected to attend the With Dedication, President Barb
dinner meetings held Beards Hill Road
the second Tuesday Adopt-A-Road
Cal Ripken World Series
of each month. Clean Up Opening Ceremonies- August 12
Club members will be greeting
If you are unable teams and passing out trading pins!
to attend… Tuesday, August 9 This free event is open to the public.
7pm A free ticket is required for the World
Please call Lion Sandy Meet in Kleins’ Lot Championship Game on August 21st.
Krass at (410) 734-0210 Visit http://ripkenbaseball.com/ to
by 3 P. M. on the Sunday We need your help for 1 Hour reserve your free tickets.
prior to the meeting, Please call Barb 410-272-2655
otherwise you will be or respond by email to be put
billed for the meal. on the sign-up sheet. THANKS!
Notes from the Board Room
July 2011 Board Meeting Minutes
Date: July 5, 2011
Place: Aberdeen Senior Center
Members in Attendance:
Peggy Duff Joan Jones Cathy Sawyers
Moira Farley Sandra Krass Denise Smith
Roberta Guary Barbara Mortus Pat Wojtek
The meeting was called to order by President Barb Mortus at 6:40 PM.
The June Board Meeting minutes were approved as presented.
Treasurer’s Report was accepted and filed for review.
1. Thank-you note received from Kalliopi Drakos a 2011 Scholarship Recipient
2. Newsletters received from the Casey Cares Foundation, Boys and Girls Club and The Phoenix Society.
3. Email received from District requesting ads for District Social Program Book. We have $100 in the
Administrative Budget for this expense.
1. Joan Jones attended the Turnover Meeting which was held on June 17, 2011 at Snyder’s Willow Grove
restaurant. New Cabinet members were introduced for the 2011 – 2012 year.
2. Relay For Life: President Barb reported that the final total of monies raised by our Team Roar For A
Cure was $1592.00. Our team goal was $1000.00
3. Basket Bingo - September 30, 2011 at the Aberdeen Fire Hall. Bingo Flyer, letters to solicit Game
Sponsors, donations for Door Prizes, Scroll Table items and basket fillers went out in the July 2011
1. Lion Cathy Sawyers was presented with The Lion of the Year Award.
2. New Roster Book due out August 2011 for the calendar year 2011 – 2012
3. Dates were discussed for the new District Governor Owen Landis to come out and visit the club.
4. Speakers for next year were solicited and discussed. Please pass along any suggestions to Barb.
5. New members will be voted on at our August Board Meeting. Induction of new members will take place
at our September Dinner Meeting. Discussion was held as to who would do the induction ceremony.
6. Suggestion was made by the Aberdeen Lions Club that we participate in several joint meetings during the
7. Aberdeen Moose Hall would be available to rent to hold a second Basket/ Vera Bradley Bingo in the
spring 2012. No cooking privileges.
8. Road Clean-up scheduled for Tuesday, August 9th at 7:00PM. Please contact Barb if you are able to help.
9. Cal Ripken World Series will be held on August 12th. Club will be distributing Trading Pins to Teams.
10. Two club members were dropped from club roster. One Lion resigned in good standing due to personal
reasons and another member was dropped for non-payment of dues. The total number of club members is
now at 26.
11. Budget for 2011 – 2012 presented. Proposed changes discussed were as follows:
Proposal to hold one raffle per year. Suggested was a Lottery Ticket Raffle or a Gift Card Raffle.
Tickets to be sold at Havre de Grace School Craft Sale and Christmas Street.
Proposal to hold a second Basket/Vera Bradley Bingo in the spring at the Aberdeen Moose Hall.
Proposal to hold three Mamie’s Café fundraisers throughout the year.
Eliminate Candy Bar Sales.
12. President Barb presented a proposed Committees List for 2011 – 2012. Committees were reviewed and
Meeting adjourned at 8:55 PM Great Job, Lion Secretary Pat!
Respectfully submitted: Excellent First Timer for our Minutes!!
Pres. Barb gives Special Recognition to Lion Cathy Sawyers
for being our 2010 -2011 Lion of the Year !!!
Congratulations Lion Cathy!
Camp Possibilities is held for one week a year and houses children with diabetes. It was open this
year, July 24 - July 29 at Camp Ramblewood located in Darlington. Lions Joan Jones and Barb
Mortus helped serve a lunch, the campers had tally sheets to keep track of the amount of
carbohydrates that they ate (It was amazing how many grilled cheese sandwiches can be consumed
in 20 minutes!) Joan is pointing out the cafeteria pizza clock with pepperoni to highlight the numbers.
SUMMER CONCERTS IN THE PARK Roberta Guary 8/01
BAY COUNTRY GENTLEMEN Cathy Sawyers 9/05
Tuesday, August 23, 7pm Denise Smith 9/16
Festival Park Judy Miller 9/21
Howard & Franklin Streets Nancy Keithley 9/23
FREE ADMISSION...Bring the family out for a Sandra Henson 9/28
relaxing Summer Evening. Come out with blankets,
lawn chairs and a picnic dinner and relax to the
sounds of local entertainment through the Summer
Nights. This event has been sponsored by the
Aberdeen Board of Parks & Recreation. In the event
of inclement weather, all performances will be held at
Aberdeen Middle School, 111 Mount Royal Avenue,
in the Multi-Purpose Room. Anniversaries
Time for Fun!
Sandy Pierce 8/03
Let’s have a fun, social time Pat Wojtek 8/14
with our Fellow Lions, family & friends- Loretta Anderson 9/09
Meet us at the park- bring a chair, Michelle Hash 9/21
a cold drink & maybe a snack to munch
We’ll be entertained as we chat!!!
I hope to see you there!
1st Full Cabinet Meeting:
Friday, August 26, 2011 at the Crown Plaza Timonium.
Social time: 6:00 pm followed by dinner 6:45 pm.
Boneless Breast of Chicken w/Apple&Dried Cranberry Stuffing
or Beef Tips in Wine Sauce. We will be donating school supplies to 6
Include your choice when you “RSVP” to CS Doug at by Elementary Schools in September. Now
August 10, 2011. would be a good time to purchase anything
you’d like to donate- Catch the Sales!
All District Committee Chairs, Club Presidents, Secretaries, Treasurers and
Membership Chairs and their spouses are encouraged to attend.
August 26th thru September 4th, 2011 Lions at the State Fair in Timonium, MD.
Our #1 Fundraiser
Need Door Prizes! September 30, 2011 Scroll Table Items!
Tickets are available.
They are still $10 in advance and $12 at the door
Get Sponsors! Contact: Lion Sandy Pierce 443-876-4472 Sell Tickets!
Lion Brenda Conjour 410-273-7332
Let’s Fill the Fire Hall for our Best Bingo Ever!!
ABERDEEN LIONESS LIONS CLUB
PO BOX 516
ABERDEEN, MARYLAND 21001