Welcome to Frisco Montessori Academy’s
Supporting ~ What is the Parents Organization?
FMA’s Staff The Parents Organization (PO) at FMA is intended to give parents and legal guardians the oppor-
tunity to become a part of the school community. As long as your child is enrolled at FMA, you
• Annual Classroom Gifts are a member. The PO’s main interest is to enrich the lives of our FMA students. Being in-
• Teacher Appreciation Gifts volved in the PO deepens the experience of the children in their own education; it sets an exam-
• Teachers’ Luncheon ple and tone of involvement. The children benefit by seeing their parents “caring through ac-
• Sponsor Kindergarten tion”. The staff at FMA benefits from the extra support given by the parents. As parents we
Graduation & Fifth Level have a unique opportunity to become deeply involved in our child(ren)'s education. The
Graduation result is what makes FMA such a remarkable place! That’s right – it’s because of YOU -- a
• Playground Equipment community of parents who show extraordinary care and concern for this school.
• Books for the Library
~ Are there any membership fees?
There are no membership fees associated with our group, just many benefits we hope you will
Building an enjoy throughout the school year.
~ What is our mission?
• Grandparents Social—Oct Our mission, to promote the general welfare of FMA students, is accomplished in three major
• Donuts for Dads—Nov ways by:
• Muffins for Moms—Feb 1) Supporting FMA’s staff
• Family Sports Nights— 2) Building a community among FMA staff, students and families
Soccer—Oct 3) Fostering an understanding of the Montessori philosophy.
• Family Sports Nights—
Baseball—April ~ What do we do?
• Walk-a-thon—April There is a lot of work involved, but we think it is worth it. Below illustrates some of our efforts
• Thanksgiving Food Drive— in each of these categories.
• Toy Drive—Dec ~ Is fundraising involved?
• Publish School Directory— Fundraising is also part of our responsibility, as it takes over $10,000 to fund all our planned PO
Sept activities. In addition to the activities noted above, we also raise money for the school to enable
• FMA Discovery Nights—Sept, them to continue to improve the school, which helps enhance our children’s education. In the
Nov, Feb, April past, we have raised money for computers, playground covers, gardening maintenance, and much
• Used Uniform Sales—August, more. Each year we have a ‘wish list’ from the school that helps us determine how we are going
May to raise money in addition to what we need to support our annual activities. This year our ‘wish
list’ is for a shade cover for the cement section of the playground. We are excited about our
fundraisers this year and will share more information as we finalize all the details. These will be
family-oriented activities that you are sure to enjoy. We are also exploring other social activities
Understanding the that can serve as fundraisers this year. We hope you find it easy and beneficial to enjoy all or
Montessori Philosophy some of these opportunities.
~ Opportunities for parent participation
• Publish Handprints, a PO
Newsletter Volunteer-power will make this year’s events successful. We are always happy to have extra
• Maintain the FMAPO.org Web hands to help out. Let us know how you want to contribute. There is always a need: sometimes
Site small and simple, other times more in depth. We welcome any volunteer efforts you can offer,
• Teachers as speakers for our whether it’s for the school year or just for one event. Volunteering your time and talent helps us
FMA Discovery Nights meet our goals and gives you an opportunity to meet other parents and teachers. Look for oppor-
tunities to sign up for your favorite events at the beginning of the school year and always feel
free to contact members of the board for more details.
www.fmapo.org ~ How can I learn more about Montessori philosophies?
This year we are replacing our general meetings and starting something new... FMA Discovery
Come visit us for the latest infor- Nights. Join us for 4 unique events which will bring you into the Montessori world and let you
mation on FMA and the Parents discover what and how your children are learning. The meetings will be held at the school and
Organization! childcare will be provided for FMA students. We plan on having some of our terrific teachers
show us what they do this year. Mark your calendar for these fun, educational events: Exploring
Practical Life, Language, Math and Art.
Check out our PO Calendar on the back which provides you with all the dates and times of our
Samantha Lollar events. You can also stay informed by logging on to our newly designed web site at
FMA PO President 2009-2010 www.fmapo.org anytime.
email@example.com Welcome and we look forward to partnering with you this year!