TWELVE STEPS TO ACTING OUT A SONG
1) Read the words out loud until you understand the message of the song.
2) Identify the characters: who is the subject, who is the subject speaking to or
3) Experiment with images and focal points.
4) Find the rhythm and rhyme of the song.
5) Feel or emote each word.
NOW ADD THE MUSIC
6) Learn the melody no matter which part you sing.
NOW PUT THE MUSIC AND LYRIC TOGETHER
7) Experiment with actions and movement to help explain your feelings about
8) Fill the air or spaces in the song, where you’re not singing, with feeling and
9) Be prepared for the upcoming final punch line or ending. The song is
leading your audience somewhere; don’t let them down. Always keep the
excitement coming. Continuous forward motion!
10) Keep your light on. Never lose the lift. A mirror is your friend!
11) Practice until it becomes natural.
12) Visualization - hold the moment as the audience cheers wildly.