TERMS OF REFERENCE
UNICEF-BCO : TERMS OF REFERENCE (TOR)
Job Title and Level: – Project Officer, Children in contact with the law -NOB
Section: Child Protection
Duration: 12 Months
Duty Station: Dhaka- Bangladesh
The Policy, Advocacy and Legislative Reform Project under the Child Protection Programme has
initiated a pilot on diversion and alternative measures in Jessore to reduce recourse to the deprivation of
liberty for children who come in contact/conflict with the law and for their rehabilitation in their natural
The Piloting which is first of its kind in Bangladesh requires strengthening coordination among the
various key stakeholders such as Police, Judiciary, Social Services, Lawyers etc, their capacity building,
developing child protection multi-sectoral operational teams comprising all the relevant actors.
The operational team has been set up, but requires intensive support for its functioning at the Jessore
level. The functioning of the system also require intensive capacity building, developing and
strengthening case management system including referral and gate-keeping mechanism.
For diversion to be effective relevant services need to be mobilized and the community has to be
prepared. Intensive community mobilization activities have been undertaken with support from partner
One of the important issues of piloting is the documentation of the whole process as well as results for
scaling. The evidence created need to be channeled to the policy level for relevant evidence based
changed in the law and police.
2. Purpose of Assignment:
Responsible for providing program support in development and implementation of a model of alternative
care setting – diversion for children in conflict with the law. He/she will work in close cooperation with
the DSS representative at the district level, DSS authorities at national level. In parallel he/she will
ensure close cooperation with others Projects of the Child Protection section, especially with the
Children at Risk Project.
He /she will be based in Dhaka but with 80 % of time traveling to the field ( i.e Jassore)
3. PBA# SC/2007/0410
4. Indicative assignment dates: August 2010- July 2011
5. Minimum requirements:
- University Degree in Law
- minimum 3 years of experience in the area of justice for children
- strong technical knowledge and practical experience in the area of restorative justice , especially
working on setting up diversion schemes and models for children in contact with the law
- strong coordination skills and experience working with the Governmental officials and practitioners in
the area of justice for children
- experience in application of the case management for children in contact with the law
- ability to work with and within the team
6. Supervisor: Sanja Saranovic , Child Protection Specialist
7. Key assignments/expected outputs
1. Implementation of the Pilot Model on alternative care and diversion for children in conflict with the law
in Jessore ensured;
a) Functional Case Management System in Kishore Unnayan Kendra (KUK), Jessore is ensured.
(b) Juvenile court in Kishore Unnayan Kendra (KUK), Jessore is child friendly and functional ensured.
(c) Police stations of Jessore district is following child friendly procedure according to Children Act 1974 is
(d) District taskforce (DTF) in Jessore is active in rendering services to children in conflict with the law and in
need of care and protection.
(e) Network and coordination among the justice for children actors in Jessore ensured.
(2) Ensured partnership with Save the Children UK and local NGOs in the implementation of the Pilot Model
(3) Capacity building/training for service providers (Police, Probation, judiciary, Multidisciplinary Team and
KUK-Staff, Community multidisciplinary team) is conducted.
(4) Coordination with other project of CP (Amader Shishu, Birth registration and PCAR) and inter component
linkage is enhanced.
(5) Case Management System in Kishore Unnayan Kendra (KUK), in Tongi and Konabari is introduced and
(6) Support to the legislative reform component of the Child Protection Program provided as necessary.