born and lived
how they live.
To honor Jesus, we will prepare for
his birthday by learning about the
people who live in Bethlehem today.
Our gift to Jesus this
year will be to open
our hands, to say
yes to God as Mary
and Joseph did, and
to care for the
people who live in
Last week we learned about Mary and
the women who live in Bethlehem today.
This week we will learn about Joseph
and olive wood carvers today.
Joseph was a
God sent an
angel to tell
him to marry
of Mary and
and Jesus Courtesy photo
Carpenters in Bethlehem today
from the wood of
olive trees that
grow all around
and some make
figures like this
one of Mary
and baby Jesus.
come to visit
are few people
to buy these
Men today want to take
good care of their families,
but it is hard to find jobs.
This coloring page
will help you
and men today who
listen to God, open
their hands and take
good care of their
Do you want to open your hands so
everyone can take care of their families?
Please Join in Prayer
Thanks be to God for the fathers and
children of Bethlehem. May they feel
God’s love and our love. Protect the
olive trees so they may live many,
(peace in Arabic/Hebrew)
Adults can help the olive carvers of
Bethlehem earn money to care for
• Invest in the severely depressed Palestinian
economy by purchasing gifts produced by
Palestinian artisans at Ten Thousand Villages
or by ordering other products through Open
• Write a letters to your national legislators,
urging an approach to the Middle East conflict
which will build peace and security for all
For more information and resources,
see Adult Advocacy handout.
Next week we will learn about the
shepherds in Bethlehem then and now.
Later we will learn
about the wise men
who came to learn Courtesy photo
about Jesus and the
wise people who
come to Bethlehem to
learn God’s ways
The people who created
• Christi Hoover Seidel, Peace Development Worker
Mennonite Central Committee—Palestine
• Cynthia Friesen Coyle, Peace and Justice Support Network
• Susan Mark Landis, Peace Advocate, Mennonite Church USA
• Lisa Amstutz, Peace Advocate Secretary, Mennonite Church USA
• Esther Epp-Tiessen, Peace Ministries Program, MCC Canada
• J. Daryl Byler, Director, MCC Washington Office
• Tim Seidel, Peace Development Worker, MCC Palestine.
Photos and images courtesy of:
• Christi Hoover Seidel
• Susan Mark Landis