• Marzo 2011: 3 settimane
1. Attività didattica:
Corso di Nefrologia Pediatrica: 20 lezioni
1 lecture “Steroid Resistant Nephrotic Syndrome”
Revisione del protocollo su terapia S. Nefrosica
2. Attività clinica:
come per gli altri medici (SICU)
Collaborazione con ICU adulti su 1 caso di sepsi in donna di 38 aa. in Dialisi Peritoneale
In 3 settimane:
• M, 4.5 kg: diarrea-disidratazione, IRA oligoanurica, sovraccarico idrico, iperpotassiemia
• M, 3.8 kg: acidosi intrattabile (prob malattia metabolica), wasting progressivo
PEDIATRIC ARF IN AFRICA
• Ill-defined due to underestimation (poor or no diagnosis)
• When resources available: high mortality of treated patients (40-46%)
• ARF due to specific local causes is negligible: Plasmodium F. nephropathy
13.7% (Anochie, 2005), Steroid resistant Nephrotic Syndrome 12%
(Olowu, 2003) of all ARF causes
• Most frequent ARF cause is oliguria secondary to dehydration (Suiert,
Thus, potentially reversible.
Dialyzed patients= 6
A POSSIBLE PROJECT FOR PEDIATRIC PD AT BUGANDO (1)
• 2 patients needed PD in 3 weeks. Potential high number of pts needing PD
• BMC Pharmacy is able to provide PD fluid
• 1 surgeon is already able to place PD catheters
• The present OPBG nurse and expected next ones are generally able to perform PD in children
• Correction of metabolic changes in children with ARF
• Management of electrolyte disturbances in children with dehydration, metabolic diseases
• Control of edema not responding to medical treatment (examples: sepsis, Steroid Resistant
Expected outcome (1st year)
• One doctor and one nurse trained for pediatric PD
• These two should start an expertise transfer to another doctor and to two other nurses
• 5-10 patients treated with PD at SICU (?)
A POSSIBLE PROJECT FOR PEDIATRIC PD AT BUGANDO (2)
• Mwanza Project Responsible should obtain the identification of 1 doctor and 1 nurse from
• A training for both should be offered at OPBG
• Training of 2 persons
• Raw costs: To be defined but PD is cheap. At least initially, material should be provided to
• Medical and nursing assistance provided by email or by telephone by myself and by OPBG
• Presence of OPBG doctors and nurse at BMC is constant. This could facilitate communication
and help local operators.
• Periodic reports of PD activity would be produced to the OPBG Mwanza project coordinators.
analysis of sea ice
(Barreira et al., 2009 – X
General Objectives :
1. The understanding the role of sea ice in the Global
2. The protection of the Antarctic environment.
3. Antarctic tasks and navigation planning.
Specific Objectives :
1. Sea ice edge and concentration detection.
2. Sea ice space-time variability studies in South Atlantic
Ocean and Antarctic Seas.
Zone of interest:
South Atlantic Ocean and Weddell and Bellingshausen Seas and Peninsula
1. Sea ice extension and concentration.
2. Complementary….Sea surface winds.
Spatial resolution : 50 km (pixel)
South Atlantic Ocean and Antarctic Seas
(Bellingshausen and Weddell)
MWR data receiving and processing.
Floating ice / open water separation (edge).
Over floating ice zones:
Sea ice edge extraction. Mapping.
Sea ice concentration.
Over open waters zones:
- Sea surface wind extraction. Mapping.
Sea ice data processing:
Sea ice concentration climatology, statistics
(monthly mean, standard deviation, etc.),
processes of formation and melting.
Sea ice concentration temporal series principal
component analysis (PCA) and their
relationship with different known signals and
Spatial patterns of monthly fields of sea ice
concentration anomalies PCA and their
relationship with climate.
Sea wind data: comparison with modeled data.
1. About sea ice temporal variability:
Study and description of:
* Annual cycle of the sea ice concentration field.
* Sea ice temporal main features.
* Relationship with atmospheric and oceanic
circulation at high latitudes of the South Hemisphere
(ENSO, AO) to forecast sea ice concentration
2. About sea ice spatial variability:
Study and description of:
* Spatial patterns of monthly sea ice concentration
* Relationship with atmospheric circulation.
* Antarctic meteorology: Antarctic stations
environment and sea ice fields forecasting.
* South America climatic fields of pressure,
temperature and precipitation forecast.