Chapter 2 Study Guide
Know these facts:
- Large landmasses are called continents.
- The largest ocean in the world is the Pacific Ocean.
- Earthquakes can be caused by the movement of tectonic
- Most of Earth’s active volcanoes are located in a zone around
the rim of the Pacific Ocean called the Ring of Fire.
- Overgrazing is caused by allowing animals to graze so much
that plants are unable to grow back.
- The wearing away and movement of weathered materials from
one place to another by the action of water, wind, or ice is
- The region drained by a river and its tributaries is called a
- Tropical latitudes usually have hot climates.
- The equinox marks the beginning of spring and autumn.
- Rotation is the motion of the Earth as it spins on its axis once
every 24 hours.
- Tectonic plates move because they float on magma.
- An earthquake on the ocean floor would most likely cause a
- Greenhouse gases affect solar energy by letting it in, but
trapping heat that rises.
- Planting crops on fragile soil and cutting down trees without
replacing them could lead to desertification.
- Changing seasons are caused by Earth’s tilt.
Be able to write a paragraph about the following:
- What is erosion?
- What are the various vegetation regions? Describe each one.