Thematic Study Areas
Work package 4 - 10
WP 1 - Scientific Coordination and
• Project Coordination - Greece:
Financial management, coordination and communication
between partners and with the EU; steering committee
meetings; gathering reports; drafting annual progress reports.
• Thematic Work Package Coordination - Partner Countries:
Coordination of work package and communication between
partners; drafting thematic report on work package; organize
• D 1 - Steering Committee Report
• D 2 - Thematic Workshop Reports
WP 2 - Context Analysis and
• Objectives: National context - literature review and methodology
critique; Thematic study - literature and methodology review.
• DoW: main trends and topics in migration research and
migration processes in relation to thematic studies;
methodological critique and recommendations.
• Methodologies: review and critical analysis.
• D 3 - Context Analysis and Methodology Review Report
• Coordination: Greece
WP 3 - Policy Analysis
• Objectives: mainstream and alternative EU and national policy
frameworks on migration and intercultural interactions; gendered
• DoW: identifying EU and national policy frameworks; legislation
and policy documents; trends, contradictions and
• Methodologies: review and analysis.
• D 4 - Policy Analysis Report
• Coordination: Greece
WP 4 - National Identity and Media
• Objectives: national ‘self’ - ‘other’; tolerance - xenophobia;
promotion of cultural diversity and migrant mobility.
• DoW: theoretical discussion; analysis of key ‘texts’ (films,
literature or media); roles and stereotypes; hybridity.
• Methodologies: content analysis; discourse analysis.
• D 5 - Thematic Report
• Coordination: Romania
WP 5 - Intercultural Education
• Objectives: formal and informal practices; cultural integration
and multiculturalism; hospitality, dialogue and best practices;
• DoW: theoretical discussion; school fieldwork; gendered and
racialized dynamics and hybrid identities.
• Methodologies: participant observation (3-4 months), interviews,
• D 6 - Thematic Report
• Coordination: Cyprus
WP 6 - Religion
• Objectives: global - local - national religious communities and
practices; inter-religious dialogue; women’s dialogue across
religious and secular organizations and social spaces.
• DoW: theoretical discussion; identifying practices, sites of
worship and alternative spaces/practices of religious belonging;
public and private religious practices in relation to migration
trajectories and gendered identities/relations; policy aspects.
• Methodologies: biographical interviews; focus group
discussions; participant observation.
• D 7 - Thematic Report
• Coordination: Italy
WP 7 - Urban Intercultural Spaces
• Objectives: urban interactions and social movements; practices
of assimilation, integration, hybridity, marginalization;
• DoW: theoretical discussion; identifying local communities and
neighborhoods and (formal and informal) practices; everyday
life; spatial segregation and spatial mixing and boundaries;
security and criminalization; policy considerations.
• Methodologies: neighborhood mapping; participant observation;
• D 8 - Thematic Report
• Coordination: Spain
WP 8 - Intercultural Violence
• Objectives: gendered and racialized violence in the construction
of migrant subjectivities; women’s victimization and
marginalization; inter-ethnic violence; policy considerations.
• DoW: theoretical discussion; mapping institutions and practices
for prevention/protection; shelters, NGOs.
• Methodologies: in depth interviews; participant observation;
personal development groups.
• D 9 - Thematic Report
• Coordination: Macedonia
WP 9 - Mixed and Transnational
• Objectives: family and intergenerational relations; changing
gender relations; changing social status.
• DoW: theoretical discussion; family selection (ethnically mixed
and/or transnational); racialized and gendered tensions and
conflicts; positive interactions and hybrid practices; everydaylife
practices/experiences; policy considerations.
• Methodologies: couples’ interviews, unstructured individual
interviews; focus groups with women and men.
• D 10 - Thematic Report
• Coordination: Bulgaria
WP 10 - Final Report: Implications for
Theory and Policy Recommendations
• Objectives: theoretical implications; policy recommendations;
attention to knowledges produced in less mainstream academic
and geographical locations; interrelate and juxtapose thematic
study findings to arrive at a more complex understanding.
• DoW: compare original review to research findings and develop
new theoretical and policy perspectives; present initial results to
stakeholders at a policy recommendation and analysis
workshop in each partner country.
• D 11 - Final Synthesis Report and
Executive Summary Reports (transl.)
• Coordination: Greece
WP 11 - Dissemination
Publications in academic journals.
Public meetings with stakeholders.
D 12 - Web-site
D 13 - International Conference
D 14 - Video-Documentary
D 15 - Public Policy Meetings