The Munich Massacre
By Francis Smith and Ariana Chavez
What is Terrorism?
The calculated use or threat of violence against someone in
order to achieve goals that are political or religious or ideological.
* ideological = Concerned with or suggestive of ideas
What is a massacre?
Massacre = the savage and excessive killing of many people
What is the Munich Massacre?
• The Munich Massacre occurred in the year
1972 in Munich, Germany in the 20th Olympic
• Took place in September 5th, 1972, 4:30 AM.
• 8 Palestinians killed 2 Israeli athletes.
• 9 other Israeli athletes were hostages.
• Demanded 234 Palestinians in Israel to go
• Also demanded 2 German terrorist leaders in
Frankfurt to go free.
• Wanted a safe passage out of Germany.
• They wanted to go into Egypt.
21 Hours at Munich
• Israel refuses to release the Palestinian prisoners.
• Egypt does not want to be involved, despite that
the terrorists wanted to go there.
21 Hours at Munich
• The terrorists and the hostages went to an
• Snipers fired and killed three terrorists.
• Gun fight started.
• All hostages got killed, as well as one
policeman and two more terrorists.
Effect on the Games
• Olympic flag and most other national flags
flew at half‐mast.
• Suspended for one day.
• October 29th, a Lufthansa jet was hijacked by
• Demanded the Munich terrorists to be
• Germany agreed and released all three
remaining Munich terrorists.
1. What was the Munich Massacre?
2. Why did the terrorist target Olympic Athletes?
3. How did the Munich authorities, Olympic Organization,
and the political world at large respond to the event?
4. What happened to the athletes?
5. What happened to the terrorist?
6. How did this event affect the Olympics?
7. How did world respond to this act of terrorism? How
did the United States act?
8. What is the Israeli response to this act?
9. What was the aftermath of the event?