Learning Center
Plans & pricing Sign in
Sign Out



									The University of
The Landscape and
Humans… Together!
Brad Campbell
GEOL 196

                  History of several
                   important buildings that
                   shape the UVM campus.
                  Covers mainly academic
                   and student dormitories.
                  Two new buildings to
                   come in the future.

        Old Mill


              The original College                          The Old Mill building was
                Building, sitting on the                      built in three sections,
                same place where Old                          seen above.
                Mill is, was built in 1802.                 The sections were built for
              Burned to the ground in                         fire protection, but were
                1824.                                         joined in 1846.                                 LS09923
      Old Mill, cont’d


          Renovated to its current        The final renovation
            ‘Victorian Gothic’ Style in     occurred in 1997, when
            1882.                           Old Mill was given its
          Funded by John Purple             original colors while
            Howard.                         updating technology.

      Pomeroy Hall
    Originally known as the       The cupola was removed in
      Medical College Building,     1925 because of insufficient
      it was built in 1828.         funds to renovate the leaky


LS10669                                                        LS10667
      Pomeroy Hall, cont’d
          The building’s name was   The tower was replaced in
            changed to Pomeroy        a 1997 renovation and
            Hall in 1950.             maintains the same look


      Torrey Hall
          Originally built in 1863 on        The building was moved to
            the spot where Williams            its current location,
            Hall now sits.                     between Billings and
                                               Votey, in 1895.


LS10764                            LS10778                         LS10778
      Billings Student Center


          Billings was built to serve   After the Howe Library was
             as a library when it was      built in 1961, Billings
             completed in 1885.            served as the UVM
                                           Student Center.

      Perkins Hall
          Built in 1891, Perkins     The Geology Department
            served as the home of      now resides in Delahanty
            the Geology Department     Hall, on Trinity campus.
            until 2005.


      Williams Hall
          Finished in 1896, it was designed to be a
            fireproof building, due to its brick construction.
          About 1896




LS10821                       LS10626                            LS09643
      Royall Tyler Theater
          Originally named ‘Old        The building was badly
            Gym’, it was finished        damaged in a 1950
            in 1901.                     storm, classified as a


LS10416                      LS10228
      Other Buildings On

     Morrill Hall, on Main       Dewey Hall, on
     Street was built in 1907,   Colchester Avenue, was
     College of Agriculture      finished in 1905. Current
     and Life Sciences home.     home of the Psychology
      Other Buildings On
                            Votey Building is the
                            Math and
                            Department’s home,
                            completed in 1962.

                                                    Stafford Hall was built
                                                    in 1991 to house the
                                                    Microbiology and
                    Kalkin Building, the            Molecular Genetics
                    Business School’s               Department.
                    home, was built in 1987.

LS10815   LS10229                                                             LS10678
  Converse Hall was the first building on campus
   constructed solely to house students, built in 1895.

LS10164              LS09711       LS09710        LS09710
Other Dormitories On

         Redstone Hall,
         completed in

                            Coolidge Hall, built in 1947

          Marsh Austin Tupper, the first
          dormitory on Athletic Campus,
          was built in 1960
Other Dormitories On
        Christie Wright
        Patterson, built
        in 1962

                                   The Harris Millis complex
                                   was completed in 1967.

        The land just before
        Christie Hall was built,
        taken in 1960
       Things To Come…
       Dudley H. Davis Student Center is projected to be finished in the Fall of 2007.

            University Heights Student
            Residential Learning Complex,
            Final phase expected to open in
            the summer of 2006.

Over its 215-year history, the University of Vermont
 has had to constantly change and evolve to keep
 up with student demand and technology.
When some of the buildings on campus become
 outdated, they are retrofitted to accommodate, or
 they are replaced by more advanced buildings.
UVM has made a concerted effort not to impede on
 the campus green space, and has been able to
 maintain its image as a very environmentally-
 friendly university.

To top