Docstoc

BUP CENTRES MEETING

Document Sample
BUP CENTRES MEETING Powered By Docstoc
					    MINUTES FROM THE BUP CENTRES MEETING IN SIENIAWA
                      17 -19 June 2007

Participants:
Irek Zbicinski, Lodz Technical University
Marcin Stolarek, Lodz Technical University, Students representative
Karolina Basko, Lodz Technical University, Students representative
Halina Marczak , Lodz Technical University
Dorota Michalak, Lodz Technical University
Jakob Grandin, Uppsala University, Students representative
Iryna Kriba, Ivan Franko National University of Lviv
Sergei Darozkha, Belarusian National Technical University
Alena Labodova, VSB-Technical University of Ostrava
Natalia (Lviv) (only Sunday),
Andrei (Lviv) (only Sunday),
Pawel Migula, University of Silesia
Witold Maciejewski, Adam Mickiewicz University
Per G. Berg, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences
Lars-Christer Lundin, Uppsala University
Hanna Zandin, Uppsala University
Maria Winkler, Uppsala University, BUP Secretariat
Christine Jakobsson, Uppsala University, BUP Secretariat
Christian Andersson, Uppsala University, BUP Secretariat
Lars Rydén, Uppsala University, BUP Secretariat
Magnus Lehman, Uppsala University, BUP Secretariat

Session 2. Reports
REPORTS FROM CENTRES
Ukraine, Iryna Kriba: There are 7 participating universities in the Ukraine. The most
popular course was ”Communication course” (??? English for environmental science)

Belarus, Sergei Darozkha: Many examples of independent collaboration between centres.
Lithuanian and Belarusian universities collaborate in Sokrates project. Victor Shadursky
cooperates with Riga University
26 universities are connected with BUP
All courses offered are taught in Belarus
We have good knowledge in waste management

Czech Republic, Alena Labodova: I have sent a letter presenting BUP to 54 different
faculties in the Czech Republic as a start.
We have no BUP courses running yet but some similar and we use some of the BUP material

Poland, Irek Zbicinski: 4 conferences were organized by the centre. We also had a national
BUP meeting. We have made an inventory of polish universities support for BUP summer
activities like Mazury lake and Chopin.

Lars Rydén: A committe (me, Christine, Irek and Bernt Delakowitz) has been formed to
review suggestions from the universities and 14 were interesting to go forward with.

Christine: Informed about the new centre in Uppsala and about the move of the Swedish
BUP centre from Umeå to Visby on Gotland. The new centre director for Sweden is Hans
Svensson. The reason for the move was that the platform for beeing a BUP centre in Umeå
had disappeared. No courses and no financing from Umeå University.

NW Russia, Victor Ionov: 1. most important teachers conference with 16 participants. The
programmes new situation was discussed in a positive way
2. Video conferences was organized for students. 3 conferences was performed between
Russia and Poland.
3. There was a visit by Lars Rydén.
There has been a normal number of students participating and diplomas issued.

Lithuania, Linas Klicinincas: The policy on travel costs that has changed is clearly visible.
Röhermeris university will be more active. A point course will begin 2008 on sustainable
development.

Finland, Paula Lindroos: Teacher education in sustainable development joint with BUP. A
publication was prepared and is available on the web.
The teachers’ conference was organized together with BUP and Lodz centre.
The staff at the Finnish centre has been reduced since Ea was sick.
We had a national meeting, a meeting with other Finnish networks and a joint meeting is
planned for next spring. Polytechnic joint meeting and this network will be a part of BUP
network.
Then we will arrange a conference in Germany.
One more year of lead partner for Baltic 21 Education sector
We have Government money for 2-3 years more.
ESD possible project application to Interreg.
Joint international masters program with Lithuania, Sweden and Finland has been discussed.
Åbo akademi has started this work.

Estonia, Tanya: Courses are implemented in the curriculum including English for
environmental science and the material in different courses. Education for teachers also use
the BUP material. In total 350 students use the material. An Estonian rectors meeting is
planned for September 2007, where Tanya is asked to participate and inform about BUP.

REPORT FROM BUP SECRETARIAT (Christine):
Changes of BUP Staff.
1. new on economy is Karen Ohanjanian who will work until 31 january 2009
2. Nicky Tucker ended
3. Ingrid Karlsson (from KUS) works 25% for EHSA (from September 2006) and 25% for
BUP (from 1 May 2007).
BUP newsletter delayed but coming out soon
EHSA newsletter started in May 2007
We had a Centres meeting in Jurmala 24-26 january 2007. There were active discussions on
the future of the network and financing was also discussed like course development.
- meeting with Baltic 21 secretariat in Stockholm
- Baltic 21 agriculture sector meeting
- SOG meeting in Riga where EHSA was granted lighthouse project status
- Education sector meeting in Riga
- Board meeting and discussions on the future
- 2 teachers conferences
Session 3. Financing
Christine reported that one application had been written for the EEA grants and Norwegian
financial mechanism in cooperation between the Latvian Ministry of Environment, Riga
University and the BUP Secretariat on an environmental and sustainable development
education for universities in Latvia. A number of other contacts have been taken including the
rector of Uppsala University, MISTRA, Nordic Council of Ministers, KK-foundation, Baltic
Sea 2020. EEA grant funding for Poland and Lithuania not very interesting, as it is mainly for
investments.
Christine gave a presentation on the BSR and Interreg 2007-2013 programme which is more
interesting for BUP. All countries in our network included except the Ukraine.
Build on Interreg IIC and IIIB cooperation. Earliest possible application date is fall this year.
And the program may start spring 2008.
Maria: 3 years of sailing granted by money from Erasmus IP (one of 3 programmes from
uppsala?)
Lars-Christer: How to find Interreg co-funding? The answer is teacher salaries will do so.
No problem.
Other options to apply for funding were discussed. Also the need for a long term goal for the
programme was discussed.
Christine proposed we should start working groups to discuss possible sources of funding in
Erasmus intensive programme, Interreg
Iryna: To sum up: Erasmus has good potantial for us, like Chopin that is an innovative
project. To promote exchange of students with eastern universities.

Session 4. Planning of BUP activities and BUP network organisation in
connection with the Directors retirement
Christine: Presented the conclusions from last Centres meeting in Jurmala (see Powerpoint
presentation). BUP in transitions phase. Financing: Centres should be more active and find
funding; national support, national funding. The National meetings should propose activities
that can be discussed at Centres meetings where decisions will be taken. Communication
between the Centra was discussed, as communication has always been a problem, the question
why students and sometimes teachers does not seem to care was discussed.

Lars comments on BUP:
2003 BUP self-evaluation
2004 International evaluation
2006 Rectors Conference –legal base
Creating a more formal place at Uppsala University for the BUP Secretariat
Centres
    High-level meeting in country
    Rectors meeting could decide on which university/person with proper resources
       should be centre for 3 years
    Should have both resources and mandates
    National responsibilities
Mentors
    Tighter sector
    Yearly meetings with research reports
    Time to be more scientific
    Mix teaching and research
    People should pay their own travel perhaps also living costs (or university)
    Each sector can do all the projects they want
      Revive the BUP faculty idea (e.g. water, S.D….).The important thing is that they
       should be interdisciplinary.
BUP Program board will have more time for activities in the network as the board for the
Centre of Sustainable Development Uppsala is responsible for staff issues and economy. The
Rector will assign a new board 1/7 2007. One of the board members is Anders Wijkman
(Swedish EU parliamentarian). Lars Ryéns retirement is not important.
Phase of institutionalization for BUP now.

Christines vision:
General
    More equal network that shares initiative
    The time with main focus on knowledge transferring & capacity building has passed
       and should be replaced with partners
    Must share responsibility for BUP activities to a larger extent in the future
            Courses
            Teachers conferences
            Student activities
            Projects
            Production of course material
    BUP Secretariat must delegate responsibilities
    Decisions at the Centre Directors Meetings regarding activities
    Secretariat supports activities & Centres
    Financial applications together
    BUP label of quality
    BUP scientific advisory board - scientific conferences
Centres
    Yearly National Meetings have an important role and should take place regularly –
       activities, visibility, news
    Centres should be the national contact point with national responsibilities
    The improved financial situation of most universities should be used (EU-union)
    Centres should be much more active and find national financial support
    Use the Baltic 21 Education sector representatives to find support and financing for
       the BUP centres
    Results from the Rectors conference – effects for the future
    Annex 2 to Rectors conference contracts……
    Joint cooperative projects
    Centre Directors: What can you and your centre/university/country do for the
       network?
    Evaluation for function & to solve problems
    Spread good examples from centres to other centres
Education and research
   • Joint Masters
   • Continue to develop new course packages
   • Update old course packages
   • Increase target group for education e.g. professionals and polytechnics
   • PhD courses in some cases
   • Applied projects
   • Research projects
Mentors
   • Yearly meetings (either planning meeting or teachers conference)
   •  Must share responsibility for BUP courses to a larger extent in the future – Secr. will
      delegate responsibility for different courses or you offer different courses within the
      network
   • The BUP secretariat will help to fulfil the international aspect (lecturers from other
      countries etc.)
   • Both teaching and research
Financing
    We must share the burden of financing the network and activities
    The secretariat will continue to apply for base financing and if possible try to find
      larger base financing
    The secretariat will continue to apply for financing for teachers conferences and
      students conferences
    The secretariat will continue to apply for financing for projects
    The secretariat will continue to develop and coordinate projects.
    The secretariat will continue to take an active role in developing new courses.

The vision was discussed:

CENTRES

Alena: an inventory on projects run by the people in the network could be useful
Lars-Christer: the Centres should take of the agenda for the programme
Per: what is the reason to keep the secretariat in Uppsala?
Lars-Christer: showed a scheme on how the BUP is now organized and stressed the
difference between the programme and the network.
Lars: the board should deal with our international relationships.
Lars-Christer: a centre could take the lead for 6 months. A term that could end with a board
meeting preceded by a Centres meeting. Then we should decide already today who will take
the lead first and its successor.
Alena: make a risk assessment with scenarios so that projects started continuously be
followed up
Lars-Christer: the Centres meeting proposes and the board should control the number of
projects running.
Lars: energy and rural development are project proposals that were not brought through to be
courses but maybe later
Lars-Christer: one task for the board would be to appoint regional Centres instead of rectors
doing it
Christine: we must visit the Centres to evaluate them and also to offer our assistance to solve
problems, perhaps include rectors also
Irek: try to meet with rectors to make them rise the Centres. Evaluate performance of centres,
all contracts will expire at the end of this year, discuss with rectors
Lars: what about the evaluation? Who should do it?
Irek: Uppsala and the director of BUP should do it.
Lars-Christer: ask the signatory universities who would like to be centre and what they then
could offer. The board should send out proposals to selected universities
Lars: another solution would be that a national rectors meeting should decide on were the
centre should be located.
Tanya: so our rectors meeting should decide on which university should be centre and then
the board would decide?
Lars-Christer: 3 years mandate period. It could be a negotiation instead.
Maria: I think it is a risk of losing the BUP family. But a request list for what it takes to run a
centre should be made.
Lars: the question should be on table every 3 years in connection with the evaluation.
Lars-Christer: each region should be representative by the most fit university. It could be a
reason to request more funding from their rector.
Linas: but think of if no university wants to take responsibility?
Per: we must promote the BUP more in that case
Irek: we benefited a lot because of internationalization which is very important.
Pawel: financing from ministry dependant on students studies field, different for law and
biology (2,5 to 12,5); benefit financing through international exchange cooperation in Poland,
foreign students give double points internationalization is beneficial to polish universities and
BUP is internationalization!
Tania: money in Estonia comes in for graduates
Victor: our countries are different. Poland is interested in this proposed change. Why not start
then with Poland? Let’s make it a pilot case. I will not try it out in North-West Russia. Let
Poland try the new model if it works.
Linas: national networks are depending of us. If we change centre then how shall the network
work? Our network consists of people!
Per: let every country find its own solutions. We should collect and make a list of good
example of what the BUP has meant to them for example research money generated because
of the BUP network.
Lars: some national decision making must be made preferably by a national rectors meeting
hopefully to easier request for funding.
Tanya: I will try to promote BUP and our centre at our rectors meeting but I don’t have the
outcome.
Lars: The BUP director and board members should meet with for example rectors and offer
BUP and declare what level is needed to be a centre.
Tanya: trying to influence from abroad could give a negative effect.
Lars: visits should be made this fall to Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania.
Linas: I have no position to invite rectors. I can organize bup universities in my country and
then offer to the rectors.
Lars-Christer: we must bring something back to our own university. Internationalization is
that benefit which will bring honour and glory to our universities.
Christine: what about if the Centres doesn’t get more funding but work well anyway?
Tanya: then what if our international office takes over… and me? What about me?
Lars: the international office should help you instead.
Discussions about change and internationalization…..
Linas: the countries are different in this respect
Jakob: video conferences and audio conferences are also internationalization
Christine: but is it counted?
Lars-Christer: EU-support to solve problems. Today too few students come to Eastern
Europe. Try to find funding from EU to change this.
Tanya: Like private companies - One centre for all the Baltic countries, like the banks in
Latvia, Estonia and Lithuania having head office in Riga? Businesses do that. Could it be a
solution for us also? It is a crazy idea.
Christine: would it not be a problem for Estonian universities if the Centre was in Riga?
Lars-Christer: could be discussed but the board would not push it.
Per: perhaps one centre would get more funding and support than three different?
Maria: Denmark is not working and also Slovak, Latvia also the same. People have offered to
help but perhaps the directors block… perhaps also a little bit the same in Kaliningrad
We should together help out for the places with problems. An example is Germany. Zittau is
helping Hamburg and in Sweden now the centre has shifted from Umeå to Visby. We are very
happy about our new centre in Ostrava. We don’t want Centres only with lots of money. If
you can’t get the funding we expect more engagement. Do that, we can help you. Now we
develop a new project on communication. Let’s hope we can learn and benefit from that.
Evaluations should not only criticize but also be a recognition for all the good work that is
done.
Alena: important is 1. what is the position of the centre at the university
2. a committed person who know how and why
Don’t change functioning Centres but defend them and help Centres with problems.
Lars-Christer: Centre directors who are not performing could be made honorary directors.
Once a director – always a director but elect new practitioners.
Lars: about the three countries centre…. It is more important with a legal basis for
cooperation
Irek: I am fed up with cancellation etc when we are organizing things. Internationalization or
not… think what you can benefit and what you can do.
Maria: we must help Andris with help of teachers, and perhaps we should come and talk with
the Rector. What level shall a BUP centre have? ”post office”-level or BUP-level? Let other
interested teachers and students help out. We need Denmark to be a real Baltic regional
network. Every country must be represented.
Paula: Funding: Baltic 21 contact person to secure funding for the centre. Make a list of the
Centres that are not working…the director must make a visit.
Lars: the not performing Centres are the secretariats obligation to solve.
Christine: the board must also be involved. The path is not glass clear.
Lars-Christer: should we take it to the board. Should we have a general solution or separate
solution. I want this on the agenda for the board meeting.
Victor: ok to both
Christine: separate solutions for each centre depending on the conditions
Lars-Christer: the board should consider some of the directors to be honorary directors.
Maria: Alena, how could you get the funding and the position you have at your university.
Perhaps others could benefit from your experience.
Lars: a problem is if it is part of a faculty. Then it is not easily spread. Better is if is more
independent.
Christine: decide on presidency period of 6 months for the Centre that will end with the
Centres Meeting at the next Centres Directors meeting; decide on looking at the centres that
do not function
Lars: bring more solid proposals to the next centres meeting.
Pawel: a national meeting in every country is absolutely necessary
1. national meeting
2. this outcome should be a base to go to the rector.
Irek: we need a change regarding not working centres. We must do something
Marcin: convince not functioning centres to take care of the problems, deadline for decision
Christine: the question is how tough we should be and exactly what should be done.
Maria: Christine or Lars should pay a visit.
Lars: we are doing something. The process has already started.
Maria: we should explore alternatives now.
Karolina: from experience we had a problem with teachers from Kaliningrad before but the
students are interested. There are many students who like to do something
Jakob: the students not only want to consume conferences and courses but they have many
suggestions that could help out.
MENTORS

Christine: should mentors arrange meetings for their teachers every year?
Maria: last mentors meeting? We should have a scientific board for the mentors, a scientific
board for the BUP
Christine: I agree
Per: yes, a yearly mentors meeting with teachers is very important. The homepage for
teachers should be visited more.
Lars-Christer: mentors are important for course development. Skype doesn’t really work that
well. Mentors and teachers needs to meet in person. I want to be honorary mentor soon
because it is very much work. What is the aim of the proposed scientific board?
Christine: to give a higher status to BUP and give advice to the board, scientific referee, be
involved in the arranging of the scientific conferences.
Per: I am afraid that this board will steal time from mentors’ time. The important thing is
what happens in the courses. It can be very demanding to sit in a scientific board.
Lars-Christer: what are we going to evaluate in the board?
Pawel: scientific board should not be referees but responsible for finding referees. We must
think about interdisciplinarity and need help of others to cover. Feedback is necessary.
Quality instead of quantity. Example: can a student who failed first examination be issued a
diploma after passed a second examination?
Lars: Yes, if he/she passes the second examination; quality of courses and examination is a
too big question to settle now.
Christine: Should we have a joint meeting with the centre directors and mentors and their
assistants once a year? Yes, we make this decision today!
Hanna: meeting is good but with parallel sessions for the courses
Linas: if meetings had scientific content, cost for attending could be more easily covered.
Christine: what about the Finnish Polytechnic example, the SusDev network, where they
have conference fees?
Lars: mentors should organize a meeting every year and everybody pays their own costs.
Scientific contributions should be added but courses and teaching should also be discussed.
Lars-Christer: it is very difficult to arrange conferences without external funds.
Christine: maybe we could apply from Erasmus IP for these conferences
Pawel: students need points for participation in conferences.
Maria: we have difficulties to find teachers for the teachers conferences we already have.
Maybe we should have one big common teachers conference and some specialized
conferences?
Lars: are you thinking about a huge conference with 200 participants?
Irek, Linas and Lars-Christer: YES
Maria: could mentors prepare a conference program. How often, what kind, who will do
what and what topic?
Jakob: we could also need smaller seminars and communicate via the homepage. Teachers
conference is important but need to be complemented.
Tanya: teachers conferences that also deal with research would be fine as most teachers also
do research.
Hanna: it is important that the teachers have one opportunity to meet annually.
Christine: the contact between teachers and mentors is important.
Linas: conference ???? with proceedings
Lars: there is also a need for teacher in a course to sit down and plan. There are many ways
that could be done. According to my experience such meetings are needed.
Lars-Christer: we could have one-day workshops or international conferences but that is
expensive.
Lars: why not start in smaller circumstances with a one-day meeting for teachers?
Hanna: we could apply for money from Interreg for a big conference.

Session 6. Next meeting
The next meeting will take place on 21-24 January, 2008 in Lviv, Ukraine.

Notes taken by

Magnus Lehman and Christian Andersson, BUP Secretariat

				
DOCUMENT INFO
Shared By:
Categories:
Tags:
Stats:
views:6
posted:12/17/2011
language:
pages:9