Ch. 40-42 Wrap Up
• Do you know the importance of these vitamins?
B1, folic acid, C, A, D Ch 41
• Do you know the importance of these minerals?
Ca, P, S, K, Fe, I Ch 41
• Are you familiar with the insulin/glucagon feedback
system? Ch 41
• What is in blood? Ch 42
• What is the Bohr shift? Ch 42
• How does the nervous system relate to the circulatory
and respiratory systems? Ch 42
Why do we eat?
• 1. Fuel for work
• 2. Raw materials for biosynthesis
• 3. Essential nutrients
– (substances the body cannot make for itself)
– There are four types of essential nutrients:
• amino acids(8), fatty acids, vitamins(13), minerals
8 Essential Amino Acids
what does this mean?
• Minerals vs. Vitamins?
• Water soluble vs fat soluble
• Main minerals and their functions?
– S P ONCH Ca K and (Fe, Mg, Na)
PANCREAS: makes the hormones Insulin & Glucagon
Homeostasis: Blood Glucose (0.1%)
Example: Negative Feedback loop
to maintain homeostasis
Cellular elements of blood:
• What is high
CO2 + H20 = ??
Bohr Shift because of pH
changes due to CO2
• How the
to the circu-
negative pressure breathing
Counter current exchange
Counter current flow in fish gills
• Better O2 exchange efficiency
• LOOKING AHEAD TO NEXT WEEK:
• You should spend some quality time with
Lab 10: Measuring
• Systolic (large number)
– (pump or SQUEEZE)
• Diastolic (small number)
– (when heart momentarily relaxes)
• What is a pulse?
• What is peripheral resistance?
• How do the above relate to heart disease?
– Atherosclerosis, arteriosclerosis, heart attack, stroke