Click on “Complete the Online Worksheet”
1. What physical traits do you have in common with your parents? What trait did
the baby in the cartoon have in common with its parents?
2. What is the relationship between chromosomes and genes? Hint: use the
glossary by clicking on “chromosomes” look at the definition for both words.
Mendel Part I http://library.thinkquest.org/18258/mendel.htm
3. Why did Mendel use pea plants?
Click on “Steps of Mendel’s Experiment”
4. What is a monohybrid cross?
Click on “Mendel’s Observations”
5. What is the difference between dominant and recessive?
Click on “Mendel’s Laws”
6. What are Mendel’s two laws?
Mendel Part II http://www.sonic.net/~nbs/projects/anthro201/bio/
7. How were Mendel’s experiments unlike the other scientist’s of his time?
8. When were Mendel’s papers discovered?
Punnett Squares http://library.thinkquest.org/18258/index2.htm
9. What is a Punnett Square?
10. How many genes is each trait controlled by?
11. Cross Rr and Rr (two red flowers) in the Punnett Square provided below. Give
the probabilities of the offspring being red or white. Note this is NOT the exact
same cross as is on the Internet page.
12. What kind of plants did Mendel use in his experiments?
13. What does “purebred” mean?
14. What kind of letters are used to represent a dominant trait? A recessive
15. Explain what GG, Gg, and gg mean? Which one is heterozygous? Which one is
homozygous dominant? Which one is homozygous recessive?
16. What is the difference between phenotype and genotype?
17. What do P1, F1, and F2 stand for?
Cystic Fibrosis http://www.hhmi.org/GeneticTrail/stalking/cf.htm
18. What did Collins and Tsui discover caused cystic fibrosis?
19. How can their discovery help?
20. What is the genetic error that causes Cystic Fibrosis?
21. What happens to people with Cystic Fibrosis?
22. What is gene therapy?
Biology Place http://www.biology.com/learning/inheritance/arrival.html
User ID is “riders.” Password is “apbio.”
Read the “The Genetic X Files” and click on “next concept”
Read “Analyzing the Genetics X Files” and click on “next concept.”
For each different problem make the crosses and go to interpret the results. Show
the Punnett Square for crossing the F1 generation in each problem. Make sure you
give the genotype of the parents in each problem.
Orange Eyes (F1 generation) Orange Eyes and White Skin (F1 generation)
Horns (F1 generation)
Problem 1 Problem 4