Morality Unit 39
Graphic Organizer for Dante’s Inferno
Directions: Using the site http://web.eku.edu/flash/inferno/, take notes on the graphic organizer
below with information about Dante’s journey. Write in any information you feel is relevant to
the journey. Especially, list who is in each level, why they are there, and their punishment.
Answer the questions on the back.
1 Limbo (Virtuous Unbaptised) Lack of
6 Wall of Dis
Violence against Neighbors
4. Fortune Tellers
5. Grafters Fraud
9. Sowers of Discord
Traitors to Kin
Morality Unit 40
1. What general organizational principles govern Dante’s placement of various kinds of
2. What barriers must Dante’s character pass in order to journey through the Inferno? Why?
3. According to Dante’s ethics, what are the worst sins people can commit? Why does this
change over time?
4. Dante’s view reflects beliefs of his age. How might a modern image of Inferno resemble and
differ from his?
5. What does each of the items/people in the dark wood represent or symbolize?
6. List the characters you encounter and explain their purpose.
7. Would the circles of hell contain the same sins in the same order in a modern version of The
Inferno? Why or why not?