CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY, SAN BERNARDINO by za187cY

VIEWS: 12 PAGES: 2

									                       California State University, San Bernardino
                  CAMPUS ACCESSIBILITY ADVISORY BOARD (CAAB)
                              Minutes of October 13, 2006
                                   3:05 pm – 4:00 pm
                                Foundation Board Room

Members present: Tony Simpson (Chair), Randy Hanlin (for Lovellie Cimenski-
Almogela), Beth Jaworski, Connie Jones, Amanda Spivey, Michelle Mainez, Rosa Skans,
Hideya Koshimo, Johnnie Ann Ralph, Donita Remington, Eva Sorrell, Michael Wahl,
Patricia Mabon, Franschell Williams (for Quentin Moses).

Members absent: Fran Bates, Bob Bayne, Michael Burgess, Craig Goldsberry, Bob
Miller, Richard Romero, Gary Sherwin, Tricia Walde, Dale West.

Mr. Simpson called the meeting to order at 3:05 p.m., and welcomed all in attendance. A
self-introduction of all members present followed.

Johnnie Ann Ralph made a motion to approve the minutes of the meeting held July 6,
2006. The motion was seconded by Beth Jaworski. There were no objections.

Review Action List: The Action List was provided to those present. The list was
reviewed and updated. An updated list will be provided as a separate attachment to these
minutes to the committee members. A few highlights:

             Blocking ramps/sidewalks: A work order (B-200601788) was issued by
              Facilities Services to stencil ramps and sidewalks of affected areas indicating
              to keep accessible areas clear.
             SSD Handbook: Ms. Jaworski indicated the handbook is ready and should be
              available next week. She will provide copies in CD format to CAAB
              members.
             CH restrooms: Mr. Simpson indicated this remodel is currently underway.
              Temporary restrooms are to be put in place during remodel. Estimate remodel
              to be complete in a month. SH is next, then AD. SH may be done this fiscal
              year – pending funding. The Chancellor’s Office has allocated funds for
              ADA projects but it is dependent on the November bond measure.
             Alternate media: Ms. Jaworski indicated there is an OCR provision to assess
              needs, provide plan for new alternate media production, and an AT initiative
              (AA coded memo).
             Campus signage/improved mobility: Ms. Jones will lead the sub-committee.
              Suggested establishing guidelines to standardize. Routed vendor information
              on tactical signage on the ground for committee review. Ms. Jones will
              arrange for a 30 minute vendor demonstration. CAAB members should
              contact Ms. Jones if interested in viewing the vendor demonstration. Students
              and CPDC to serve on sub-committee. Mr. Wahl suggested getting
              information from institutes on standards. Ms. Jaworski stated SSD has that
              information. Ms. Jones will contact Mr. Bookman regarding signage and
              annual accessibility walk-thru.
These meeting notes were prepared by Ruth Maddi, Office of Facilities Services at CSU San Bernardino 909.537.3109,
rmaddi@csusb.edu. The notes reflect the author’s understanding of discussions at the meeting, and should any of those
present have different recollections, they should advise Ruth Maddi of necessary revisions within five (5) working days
of receipt of document.
                                                          -1-
             FOB handicap parking spaces: Mr. Simpson indicated President Karnig’s
              parking space will be moved up 3 stalls to allow for the inclusion of one van
              accessible space.
             Templates for placement of ADA hardware: Mr. Simpson indicated there are
              tape measures displaying ADA measurements. He will provide Ms. Jaworski
              with one.

Items from the Floor:

Mr. Simpson stated a student using a wheelchair contacted Vice President DeMauro
regarding accessibility and the Bookstore automatic door. The two doors will be
demolished and replaced with one automatic door. Completion is estimated in about a
month. Ms. Jones suggested incorporating universal designs into the campus standards.

Ms. Jaworski mentioned the State Fire Marshall requested the removal of the floor mat at
her doorway because it may interfere with the door operation. Ms. Jaworski is concerned
about a slip and fall hazard during wet weather. Mr. Doyle will request Mr. Bookman to
view the site.

Mr. Simpson provided Ms. Jaworski with a memo from a student currently taking a
limousine to campus due to accessibility issues.

Ms. Jaworski mentioned the Office of Civil Rights’s (OCR) impact on SSD, including:
    Evening testing – commencing Winter Quarter
    Student appointment – revision of times to see and service
    Eligibility – provide service to students pending CSUSB assessment

Next Meeting: The next meeting is scheduled for February 1, 2007, 3pm-4pm, in the
Foundation Board Room.

The meeting adjourned at 4:00 p.m.




These meeting notes were prepared by Ruth Maddi, Office of Facilities Services at CSU San Bernardino 909.537.3109,
rmaddi@csusb.edu. The notes reflect the author’s understanding of discussions at the meeting, and should any of those
present have different recollections, they should advise Ruth Maddi of necessary revisions within five (5) working days
of receipt of document.
                                                          -2-

								
To top