A VHF (Very High Frequency) radio course is being presented as
part of our Safety day. This course will prepare you for the
certification written exam (ROC-M), however the exam itself will
not be offered.
Canadian Power Squadron and (soon) CYA is authorized to conduct
exam and award ROC-M
June 16 14:00- 17:00
Upstairs Wabamun Sailing Club Clubhouse
• Understand the basics of VHF Marine Radio
• Learn proper procedures for calling and talking with others on
• How to use the radio during an emergency
• Exposure to the Global Maritime Distress & Safety System
(GMDSS) and Digital Selective Calling (DSC)
• By law you have to be certified to operate a VHF radio
Why Learn Proper Procedures?
Fairness to others:
– General communications
– Safety and distress communications
Poor procedures mean:
– Excess calling... leads to congestion
– Needless communications... hogs the channel
– Poor distress procedures... delay, interference,
– Possible loss of life and property
– Fear of microphone
– Unfamiliar terms
– Unfamiliar rules and procedures
Some WSC members will remember WSC was
involved in a regatta at another club several years
ago and when improper radio protocol was used,
junior sailors spent additional time in the water
separated from their boats.
Please attend this course.