POST TITLE: Support Worker
RESPONSIBLE TO: Team Leader / Senior Support Worker
ACCOUNTABLE TO: Director of Human Resources
HOURS: 40 hours per week. Shift work on rota basis, night
duty, weekend and Bank Holiday.
1. To provide a caring residential and day service provision which caters to
individual’s specific needs and disabilities associated with their disabilities
whilst maintaining respect and dignity at all times.
2. To ensure that the aims and objectives of the home are met at all times
and to undertake direct or indirect care to a group of residents or a
resident, as part of the team, under the supervision of the Senior Support
Worker/Team Leader/Home Manager or Staff Nurse (if applicable).
3. To work with the home team in the maintenance of a safe and therapeutic
environment for residents. To carry out duties as delegated to facilitate
the smooth running of the home.
1. To assist in the delivery of residents care by engaging in tasks as
delegated by the Senior Support Worker/Team Leader/Home Manager or
Staff Nurse (if applicable) as indicated by the resident’s individual care
plan. To assist in all aspects of personal care, toileting, dressing, eating,
personal hygiene and intimate personal care.
2. To assist the Team Leader/Senior Support Worker/Home Manager or
Registered Nurses (if applicable) in the assessment, monitoring and
evaluation of resident’s conditions, by reporting any changes and
3. When required, to assist the Team Leader/Senior Support Worker/Home
Manager or Registered Nurse (if applicable) in supporting the resident with
their daily requirements for:
Physical and psychological support
Recreational and social activities
Any other therapeutic interventions
4. To ensure that any relevant documentation and reports i.e. Care Plans,
diaries, health and safety, maintenance are carried out during a working
5. To promote therapeutic relationships, respecting the uniqueness of each
resident, acting in a non-judgemental manner, promoting the rights of the
individual at all times.
6. To carry out sleep-in duties as requested by the Home and to cover shifts
through any shortfalls i.e. staff sickness.
7. To ensure that the highest quality of care is maintained at all times and to
consistently display a courteous and helpful manner.
8. To contribute appropriately to effective communication with residents,
significant others and members of the multidisciplinary team and to
promote good working relationships within the staff team and the
9. To ensure that due regard is given to residents’ customs, values, culture,
religious and spiritual beliefs, always acting in a facilitative manner that
promotes residents dignity, independence and choice.
1. To ensure that all information received, is dealt with in accordance with
Connifers Care policies, ensuring resident confidentiality at all times.
2. To assist with maintaining a safe and healthy environment, consistently
demonstrating safe practice, both within the home and on occasions
when escorting residents off site e.g. for shopping trips, visits to the Post
Office, holidays and outings, some which may include overnight stays.
3. To remove all cutlery and crockery from residents’ rooms and report any
missing items or report any problems/issues.
4. To report any maintenance, health and safety issues to a member of the
5. To assist with general administration duties including photocopying, home
6. To be aware of the financial constraints affecting the service and to assist
with effective stock control.
7. To assist the home team with stock control and ensuring that equipment
is fit for purpose, reporting any faults to the nurse in charge in a timely
and appropriate manner.
1. To discuss one’s own development needs with your manager, in order to
consistently achieve best practice and continuously improve personal
2. To attend relevant study days/courses as agreed by the Home Manager
and in accordance with one’s personal development plan.
3. Develop one’s own knowledge by meeting targets agreed with your line
manager within the desired timeframe.
4. Participate in home meetings and initiatives, providing the necessary
contribution for effective team working.
To develop and maintain positive relationships with external agencies who
have contact with Connifers Care.
To attend any training courses relevant to the post as agreed with the post
holders line manager.
To work in accordance and have knowledge of Connifers Care’s policies
and procedures, contributing as appropriate to the revision of these
To ensure the highest level of confidentiality at all times when dealing with
sensitive material and information. To respect the dignity and
confidentiality of our service users at all times.
It is the individual and collective responsibility of every member of staff to
ensure adherence to the company’s equal opportunities policies. Racial,
sexual or any other harassment or bullying will not be tolerated.
It is the responsibility of every member of staff to ensure compliance with
health and safety at work legislation.
It is the personal responsibility of all staff to act in accordance with the
Commission for Social Care Inspection and Protection of Vulnerable
NB: This job description reflects the present/immediate requirements of the
post. As the Company develops and restructures so the job description
may be reviewed and be subject to amendment in consultation with the
Connifers Care is an equal opportunities employer with an emphasis on
quality of care and we acknowledge that in order to provide this care, we
have a responsibility to aid employees in acquiring relevant training. All
staff must be aware that whilst at work they may be privy to privileged
information and that they must keep this information confidential.
Post Title: Support Worker
Education & Experience
Good general education – GCSE & above
Able to communicate effectively in written and oral
A keen interest in caring for people who have mental
Willingness to learn and develop
Previous healthcare/work experience
Relevant care qualifications
Skills/Ability & Attributes
Good time management and priority setting ability
Ability to listen, observe and communicate effectively
To be patient, have common sense & integrity
Ability to help residents with personal care
Able to welcome new residents/staff/visitors to the
Knowledge & Understanding
Aware of personal limitations and the need to seek
Understands the importance of maintaining a safe
Acts in a responsible and sensible manner
Demonstrates some understanding of mental