Natural disasters occur every year and greatly affect the lives of many people. Each
year, property is damaged, homes are lost, and lives are taken.
We cannot control nature, but we can protect ourselves and our belongings when
disaster strikes. The best form of protection from any natural disaster is education.
People must understand what nature is capable of and what to do when it unleashes
The governor of Connecticut has issued an order to the state legislature to form a
Disaster Awareness Team. It is the job of Connecticuts’ Disaster Awareness Team
to educate the citizens of our state on the following natural disasters:
1. Tornadoes 3. Floods 5. Earthquakes
2. Hurricanes 4. Blizzards/Avalanche 6. Forest Fires
You have been selected to serve on this team. You will become an expert on one of
the disasters listed above. You will have to make a presentation and hand in a
research paper on the catastrophe you chose.
1. Define your natural disaster (what is it? and what causes it ?).
2. Where does it occur?
3. On a map of the world, show all the areas that are affected by this disaster.
4. What time of year is it most likely to occur?
5. What damage can it cause?
6. What can we do to minimize its impact on humans?
7. Can you find records of historical events regarding the incidence of the disaster?
Give at least 2 examples.
8. Can you find current incidences of this disaster?
9. How much damage does the catastrophe cause in terms of both loss of life and
10. What should people do in case disaster strikes their city?(emergency action
11. Describe at least 6 other interesting facts about your catastrophe.
Guidelines for your written report:
Your report must be AT LEAST 4 pages typed.
Your report must focus on the research questions.
Include graphics within the report.
A map showing all areas affected by this disaster.
You must include a bibliography (Keep track of where you get
A cover sheet with your name, class, graphic, and title of your
report is necessary.
The information you gather will need to be organized into a formal
presentation. Your speech will need to be 5 – 10 mins. Your
presentation must include at least three visuals (pictures) and will need
to be in the form of:
1. a brochure
2. a poster
3. a Power Point presentation
4. a non-fiction book
5. a television program ( you are the host )
PROJECT DUE : April 10th
TASK POINTS POSSIBLE POINTS EARNED
Information correct 20
Illustrations within the
Work turned in on time 5
Project Selection (brochure,
poster, PowerPoint, etc)
Oral presentation is well
Do you know what to do if disaster strikes? Knowing what to do, when to do it, and
how to do it, could save your life or the life of someone else. Your greatest chance
for survival depends on disaster awareness. Stay Informed!!!