Since 1st June 2009, a new student visa for newcomers is available at French
consulates: long stay visa equivalent to a residence permit (valid for 1 year).
This visa will replace the temporary residence permit from the prefecture, but the
medical examination at the OFII: Office Français de l'Immigration et de l'Intégration
(Ex ANAEM: Agence Nationale d’Accueil des Etrangers et des Migrations) is still
required and costs 55€ that must be paid in tax stamps.
The French consulate will give you a form you must give to the OFII within 2 months
after arrival in France with the following documents:
- Proof of residence
- A photo (head uncovered)
- A copy of the passport stamped with the long-stay visa

As this visa is brand new, it is possible that some French consulates will not be able to
deliver it; in that case, all foreign students spending more than three months in France
need a “titre de séjour” (residence permit). Residence permits are issued by the
prefectures (local authorities).

Important: For any visa, the application form is filled in at ENS de Cachan -
Bureau des Etudes et de la Vie Etudiante.

Bureau des Etudes et de la Vie Etudiante :
(Bâtiment d’Alembert, 1er étage, couloir de gauche, Porte 127)
Brigitte VIDAL
Tél. : + 33 1 47 40 76 05
Fax : Fax : + 33 1 47 40 20 74
E-mail :

There are two cases:

    European Students

They do not need to apply for a residence permit since 2003.
The students from the 12 New EU Member States do not need anymore residence
permit in France, but only if they change their status of student to employee.
    Non-European Students

If your stay in France exceeds three months, you must apply for a residence permit.
You will take the residence permit application form at the Bureau des Etudes et de la
Vie Etudiante, and will have with you the following documents:

      valid passport with the mention « student visa »,
      copy of your birth certificate with an official translation in French,
      Photocopy of a proof of domicile in France (an accommodation statement
       such as a rental contract or an electricity (EDF), gas (GDF) or telephone
       invoice, proof of property ownership
      If you are lodged: an official letter by the person providing your
       accommodation (attestation d’hébergement sur l’honneur) dating of less than
       one month, a copy of the latest rent receipt of your lodger, or a copy of your
       lodger’s latest electricity (EDF), gas (GDF) or telephone invoice and a copy of
       his/her ID document or of his/her resident permit if non european.
      proof of financial resources (a minimum of 460€/month),
      pre-registration or registration certificate,
      4 I.D photographs, preferably in black and white of face and naked head
       (Places where we can make identity photographs in Cachan: Supermarkets
       Champion, ATAC, CORAL, RER train Station of Bagneux.)
      1 small stamped envelope.

For a first application for residency in France you must pass a compulsory medical
check-up organised by OFII (Office Français de l'Immigration et de l'Intégration, ex
ANAEM). The specific form required is available at the Bureau des Etudes et de la
Vie Etudiante.

At the moment of your medical check-up, you will have to provide the following
documents: your passport and the convocation from OFII.

Nota Bene: In case of late arrival, the appointment will be cancelled.

After the medical check-up at the OFII, you will receive a convocation from the (sous)
prefecture to go and get your residence permit. Once you arrive at the (sous) prefecture
you will have to buy an OFIII/ANAEM stamp of 55 euros.
For a renewal of the residence permit, you have to ask the Bureau des Etudes et de la
Vie Etudiante not less than 2 months before the expiry of your precedent resident

To top