FAQ by pengxuebo


									                     AUEB- MSc in Accounting and Finance
                      FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS


1) Is the MSc in Accounting and Finance accredited by the Greek State?

Yes, all Master’s Programs of the Athens University of Economics and Business (AUEB) are
accredited by the state. The specific Master’s Program of the Department of Accounting and
Finance has been established under the Ministerial Decision No. 5915/B7/11.2.2004 (FEK

2) Is the Master's Program accredited for exemptions by the Association of Chartered
Certified Accountants (ACCA)?

Yes, graduates of the program are exempt from the first four units that require examination for
professional certification by the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants. More specifically,
graduates of the Master’s Program are exempt from: F1 “Accountant in Business” (AB), F2
“Management Accounting” (MA), F3 “Financial Accounting” (FA), F4 “Corporate and Business
Law” (CL).


1) How much does the program cost? Are the tuition fees paid in instalments or in

The tuition fees for each student are paid in four instalments. The total cost of the program varies
depending on the course attended (full time or part time) and the student’s country of origin.

For part-time students from the EU the total cost of the program is €10.550 and the payment
schedule is as follows:

1st instalment (deposit upon acceptance of the place offer): €2.100 (approximately 20% of the total cost)
2nd instalment (by 15 December): €3.150 (approximately 30% of the total cost)
3rd instalment (by 31 May): €2.650 (approximately 25% of the total cost)
4th instalment (by 31 October): €2.650 (approximately 25% of the total cost)

For part-time students outside the EU the total cost of the program is €13.700 and the payment
schedule is as follows:

1st instalment (deposit upon acceptance of the place offer): €2.750 (approximately 20% of the total cost)
2nd instalment (by 15 December): €4.150 (approximately 30% of the total cost)
3rd instalment (by 31 May): €3.400 (approximately 25% of the total cost)
4th instalment (by 31 October): €3.400 (approximately 25% of the total cost)

For full-time students from the EU the total cost of the program is €7.800 and the payment
schedule is as follows:

1st instalment (deposit upon acceptance of the place offer): €1.950 (25% of the total cost)
2nd instalment (by 31 October): €1.950 (25% of the total cost)
3rd instalment (by 31 January): €1.950 (25% of the total cost)
4th instalment (by 31 March): €1.950 (25% of the total cost)

For full-time students outside the EU the total cost of the program is €10.140 and the payment
schedule is as follows:
1st instalment (deposit upon acceptance of the place offer): €2.540 (approximately 25% of the total cost)
2nd instalment (by31 October): €2.600 (approximately 25% of the total cost)
3rd instalment (by 31 January): €2.500 (approximately 25% of the total cost)
4th instalment (by 31 March): €2.500 (approximately 25% of the total cost)

2) Does the Master’s Program award any monetary prizes or grant any scholarships to

Yes the program rewards the top student in each stream (based on grades achieved throughout
the program), for both the full-time and part-time programs, with 1500 €. The awards are given to
the recipients each year during the graduation ceremony.

In addition, foreign students can apply for scholarships from the Greek State and other
multinational enterprises (further information available at the Program Secretariat).

3) How can students in the Master’s Program obtain a receipt or invoice for their tuition

Receipts for the fees paid within a given month are issued automatically at the end of that month
and are available for the students at the Program Secretariat. Students who wish in addition to be
given an invoice (e.g. in case the fees are funded by an entity or an enterprise), should contact
Mrs. K. Papageorgopoulou at the financial department of AUEB’s Research Centre (tel. 210-
8665374) before the payment of each instalment. In two days time, the invoices requested will be
available for students at the Secretariat.


1) Can a student change the stream of his/her studies?

No, applicants for the program are requested to select their preferred steam of studies with the
submission of their application. Then applicants are evaluated only compared to other candidates
of their chosen stream.

2) When are students asked to choose the elective course units they wish to attend?

Full-time students are requested to choose the elective course units they wish to attend during
the first teaching period, while part-time students are requested to make their choices during the
fifth teaching period. Students are requested to rank the elective course units of each teaching
period according to their preference, on a form issued by the Secretariat. In order for an elective
course unit to be offered, it should be selected by at least eight (8) students, while an elective
course can not be attended by more than twenty five (25) students. The abovementioned limits to
the number of students attending each elective course can be modified by decision of the
Departmental Assembly of Special Configuration. The Program Secretariat processes the
students’ preferences and announces which of the elective course units will be offered. If an
elective course unit is ranked first by less than eight students, these students will have to attend
their second choice course unit. Similarly, if an elective course unit is ranked first by more than
twenty five students, some of these students will be integrated into the course unit of their next

3) Can a student change an elective course unit in the middle of a teaching period?

No, students’ choices are irrevocable and, after the submission of the relevant form to the
Secretariat, no changes are allowed.

4) Can a student attend other elective course units of the curriculum, apart from the ones
he has selected? If yes, is he obliged to take exams in these additional course units?

Yes, in addition to the twelve course units required to obtain their degrees, students may audit
any other course units they wish, provided that there is enough space in the classroom for extra
students and that these course units do not coincide with their course units with compulsory
attendance. Students will not be examined in course units that they audit, and will receive
certificates of attendance signed by the course unit lecturers.

5) Could a part-time student condense the course units of both academic years into one
year, so as to finish his/her studies more quickly?

No, each student of the Master’s Program is obliged to follow the curriculum as it is.

6) When is the MSc thesis written? Does the student choose his or her own thesis topic
and thesis supervisor, and if so when and how?

For full-time students, researching and writing the thesis takes place during the fourth and fifth
teaching periods, while for part-time students it takes place throughout the second year of
studies. At least one month prior to writing the thesis, a list of all the intended theses topics is
distributed to the students by the Program Secretariat. The students are then requested to select
three of these topics and rank them according to their preference. The Secretariat processes the
students’ selections and, taking into consideration the Program Committee’s decisions and the
students’ academic performance, determines which topic and supervisor will be assigned to each


1) Is it necessary for students to buy the textbooks recommended, and if so what is the
estimated cost of these books?

No, students are not required to buy any textbooks since there is a lending library with all the
required textbooks in the Secretariat’s office. Students can also borrow books from the
university’s main library, using the special lending card issued at the main library. However, if a
student decides to buy the textbooks he/she should estimate an extra cost of approximately

2) Are postgraduate students entitled to free accommodation?
No, the university’s dorms are at the moment used only by undergraduate students under specific
conditions. But with regard to student accommodation, the Program provides assistance to
students looking for a furnished apartment near the University. The rent ranges between 350 to
500 euros, depending on the size and number of students sharing the apartment. Students
should keep in mind that landlords in Greece usually request two or three months of rent as a
refundable deposit/ guarantee.

3) Are postgraduate students entitled to free meals?

Meals are available to all postgraduate students at the University restaurant at a very low cost.
Some students, depending on their financial situation, are entitled to eat at the University
restaurant free of charge. Enquiries can be made at the "Office of Student Affairs”, located in the
basement of the main building at 76 Patission St. Students should bring a copy of their most
recent tax statement.

4) Are postgraduate students entitled to free health care?

Yes, free medical and hospital care is available to all AUEB postgraduate students from Greece
and non EU countries, who first sign a form stating that they are not insured by any other health
care institution. Students can apply for health coverage at the Program Secretariat when they
register (a photo is required). Students from European Union countries must obtain a European
Health Insurance Card before leaving their home country. More information can be found at
http://europa.eu/. In addition, the University has an infirmary with a medical doctor and a visiting
nurse, located in the main building at 76 Patission St (telephone: 210 8203217). The University
also has a counsellor, located in the main building at 76 Patission St, available to talk with
students who may be trying to cope with stress, problems adjusting to student life, difficulties with
personal relationships, or other personal matters (telephone: 210 8203 239 and more information
is available on the link http://www.aueb.gr/counseling).

5) Are postgraduate students entitled to free Internet access?

Yes, upon registering in the program students obtain their personal email account as well as free
access to the university’s dial-up network. In addition, students can get broadband Internet
access (via ADSL) on preferential terms and at the lowest possible cost, through the state-funded
program "Diodos" (more information is available on http://diodos.edu.gr).

6) Can students have access to the electronic services of AUEB from their own personal

Yes, all postgraduate students who have access to the Internet either though the university’s dial
up connection or through another external provider (e.g. through a non-student ADSL
connection), can have access to all the electronic services available on the AUEB premises, such
as research journals or papers databases, via the VPN service (more information is available on
http://www.aueb.gr/help/vpn.php )

7) Is there a specific procedure that an international student should follow prior to his/her
coming to Greece?

Yes, international students will need to gather a number of documents prior to their arrival in
Greece. The Program Secretariat is available to help students at every step of the way regarding
the various procedures they must follow.

First, students should make sure that they have a valid passport, and that they bring with them
the necessary travel documentation (insurance, etc), their acceptance letter for the Master’s
program, and a set of passport-size photographs required by local authorities.

Prior to travelling to Greece students from non-EU countries will need to get a 90-day Student
Visa type D (not visitor's visa), issued prior to departure. They need this in order to apply for a
residence permit once they arrive in Greece and before the expiration of the visa. Students
should note that only holders of type D visas are eligible to obtain a residence permit. Depending
on the country of origin, some additional documents might be necessary for entry into Greece.
Students should visit the Greek embassy or consulate in their area for detailed and updated
information regarding entry documentation. For a listing of Greek embassies and consular offices,
please check: http://www.mfa.gr/www.mfa.gr/en-US/Services/Directory/Greek+Missions+Abroad

8) What are the exact steps an international student has to follow upon arrival in Greece?

Upon arrival in Greece all international students will have to go through the following steps:

1. Register at the University

2. Apply for a residence permit. The following documentation is necessary:
       Two photocopies of the passport (showing the first page as well as the page with the
           stamped visa).
       Two coloured passport size photos.
       Two copies of a confirmation letter that the student is registered at AUEB (provided by
           the Secretariat of the program, in Greek).
       Two copies of a document that proves the student has sufficient funds to cover his/her
           expenses while studying in Athens (e.g. bank account statement or a letter from the
           University for scholarship holders).
       Two copies of a health certificate from a Greek Public Hospital stating that the student
           does not suffer from any contagious illness (the University will arrange an appointment).
       The health booklet provided by the Secretariat upon registration as mentioned above.

3. Apply to DOATAP (Hellenic National Academic Recognition Information Centre (NARIC)) for
   recognition and validation of Bachelor's degree. Documents required for degree recognition:
    Application form (to be found at www.doatap.gr).
    Certified photocopy of passport.
    Photocopy of residence permit.
    Copy of High School Diploma. Students from non EU countries upon arrival in Greece
     should go to the Embassy of their country in Athens with their high school diploma and
     request a statement from the cultural attaché indicating that the holder of the specific high
     school diploma has the right to enter higher education.
    Original copy of the University degree.
    Original transcript from University.
    Validated copy of University degree and transcript. These documents must be verified for
     authenticity reasons according to the Hague Convention (APOSTILLE) in the Ministry of
     Education of the country of undergraduate studies. For countries not participating in the
     Hague Convention, both the degrees and the official transcript must be certified by the
     Consular Authorities of Greece in the country in which the degree has been obtained. In
     both cases students will need to have their degree and transcripts translated into Greek at
     the Embassy of Greece or at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Athens (translations must
     have the stamp of the Greek Republic). Alternatively, if the degree is not verified as above,
     then the official transcript must be sent in English directly from the University to DOATAP.
    If a student’s University/school/ department is not already included in the official DOATAP
     List, some additional documents are required:
             Certificate or official letter from the student’s University Department stating that it
                has the right to award Master’s and PhD degrees.
             Certificate or official letter from the student’s University Department stating the
                percentage of permanent faculty that holds PhDs (the percentage must be at
                least 50% and the statement should include University/ Schools and Department)

International students are strongly advised to visit the official DOATAP website at
http://www.doatap.gr/en/index.php to find out exactly what documents they need to submit for
recognition of their undergraduate degree.

To top