A.P. World History
Guided Reading Chapter 26
“The New Power Balance, 1850 – 1900”
1. “iron and blood” 9. International 14. nationalism
2. Bessemer converter Working Man’s 15. liberalism
3. “mauve decade” Association (the First 16. “Russify”
4. Suez Canal (its International) 17. “splendid isolation”
importance) 10. Universal male 18. “tinderbox of Europe”
5. submarine telegraph suffrage 19. pogroms
cables 11. Social Democratic 20. “Jim Crow Laws”
6. business cycle Party of Germany 21. Charter Oath
7. socialism 12. Reichstag 22. zaibatsu
8. labor union 13. “separate spheres”
Individuals / Peoples:
23. King Wilhelm I 30. Charles Darwin and what was she
24. Otto von Bismarck 31. Herbert Spencer against)
25. Alfred Nobel 32. Tsar Alexander II 34. Yamagata Aritomo
26. Michael Faraday (his major 35. Commodore
27. Thomas Edison accomplishment) Matthew C. Perry
28. Karl Marx 33. Empress Dowager 36. Mutsuhito
29. Guiseppe Mazzini Cixi (who was she
Periods / Eras:
37. The Victorian Age 38. The Meiji Restoration (and three
Wars and Uprisings and Treaties:
39. Russo-Japanese War 41. Boxer Rebellion
40. Revolution of 1905 42. Treaty of Kanagawa
Works of Literature:
43. The Communist Manifest and Das 44. On the Origin of Species by Means of
Kapital Natural Selection
Questions to Outline:
1. Which countries surpassed Great Britain as the world’s most industrial nation?
2. What environmental effects did the new steel mills of Europe and North America create?
3. What advantages did Germany have in the new wave of industrial growth after 1850?
4. Rank in order what you think are the five most important technological innovations from
1850 to 1800 and state why?
5. Cite five population or migration patterns of the latter half of the 19th century.
6. Develop a chart showing the positives and negatives of urbanization in the latter half of
the 19th century – at least 10 items.
7. Summarize the basic beliefs of Karl Marx.
8. Using a Venn Diagram, compare the lives of working class women to middle class
women in the West during the second half of the 19th century. Use pages 710 – 713.
9. What differences did the Victorian Age in England emphasize?
10. What were the great advantages that Prussia had before it eventually became part of a
11. Trace the steps that took place in the road to German unification.
12. Cite two of Otto von Bismarck’s major policies.
13. Cite two major weaknesses or problems that beset France and Great Britain during this
14. Who or what were victims of American expansion after the Civil War?
15. What three main policies did the Meiji leaders pursue?
16. What caused the collapse of the Tokugawa Shogunate?