Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee
Chapter 1: “Their Manners are Decorous and Praiseworthy”
SAVE AS: WOUNDED KNEE QUIZ 2010-1
1. What tribe did Christopher Columbus meet upon landing in North
America, and where did he meet them?
2. What four Indians gave aid to the Pilgrims, and why?
3. Who led the Indians’ war against Massachusetts colonists?
4. What was the Indians’ nickname for Andrew Jackson?
5. Who was the most powerful Indian tribe in the West in 1860?
Short Essay Questions: Answer each question in approximately 75 words.
1. The first chapter briefly outlines the white settlement of America from
1492 to 1860. What were the consequences of those settlements for the
Eastern Indian tribes discussed in the chapter?
2. The second part of the first chapter describes the position of various
Western tribes as of 1860. Why does Brown provide these descriptions of
the tribes he will extensively discuss later in the book?