Docstoc

France - boomboomtour.com

Document Sample
France - boomboomtour.com Powered By Docstoc
					  France

Eiffel Tower

an immense stucture of exposed latticework supports made of
puddle iron, was erected for the Paris Exposition of 1889. The
Prince of Wales (later King Edward VII of England) officiated at
the ceremonial opening. Of the 700 proposals submitted in a design
competition, one was unanimously chosen, a radical creation from
the French structural engineer Alexandre Gustave Eiffel (b. Dec.
15, 1832, d. Dec. 28, 1923), who was assisted in the design by
engineers Maurice Koechlin and Emile Nouguier, and architect
Stephen Sauvestre.




Pont Alexandre III

is an arch bridge that spans the Seine, connecting the Champs-
Élysées quarter and the Invalides and Eiffel Tower quarter, widely
regarded as the most ornate, extravagant bridge in Paris.



The Musée du Louvre or officially Grand Louvre

is one of the world's largest museums, the most visited art museum
in the world and a historic monument. It is a central landmark of
Paris and located on the Right Bank of the Seine in the 1st
arrondissement (district). Nearly 35,000 objects from prehistory
to the 19th century are exhibited over an area of 60,600 square
metres (652,300 square feet).
The museum is housed in the Louvre Palace (Palais du Louvre) which
began as a fortress built in the late 12th century under Philip II.
Remnants of the fortress are still visible. The building was
extended many times to form the present Louvre Palace. In 1682,
Louis XIV chose the Palace of Versailles for his household, leaving
the Louvre primarily as a place to display the royal collection,
including, from 1692, a collection of antique sculpture.In 1692, the
building was occupied by the Académie des Inscriptions et Belles
Lettres and the Académie Royale de Peinture et de Sculpture, which
in 1699 held the first of a series of salons. The Académie remained
at the Louvre for 100 years. During the French Revolution, the
National Assembly decreed that the Louvre should be used as a
museum, to display the nation's masterpieces.
The Place de la Concorde (Harmony Square)

is one of the major public squares in Paris, France. In fact, in terms
of area, its 86,400 square metres make it the largest square in the
French capital. It is located in the city's eighth arrondissement, at
the eastern end of the Champs-Élysées.




The Avenue des Champs-Élysées

is a prestigious avenue in Paris, France. With its cinemas, cafés,
luxury specialty shops and clipped horse-chestnut trees, the Avenue
des Champs-Élysées is one of the most famous streets in the world,
and with rents as high as €1.1 million (USD1.5 million) annually per
1,100 square feet (92.9 square metres) of space, it remains the
second most expensive strip of real estate in Europe, having
recently (as of 2010) being overtaken by London's New Bond
Street. The name is French for Elysian Fields, the place of the
blessed dead in Greek mythology.


The Gothic loftiness of Notre-Dame

dominates the Seine and the Ile-de-la-Cité as well as the history of
Paris. On the spot where this majestic cathedral now stands, the
Romans had built a temple to Jupiter, which was followed by a
Christian basilica and then a Romanesque church (the Cathedral of
St. Etienne, founded by Childebert in 528).



PALACE OF VERSAILLES

The Palace of Versailles was the official residence of the Kings of
France from 1682 until 1790. It was originally a hunting lodge, built
in 1624, by Louis XIII. It was expanded by Louis XIV beginning in
1669. He used it as a little lodge as a secret refuge for his amorous
trysts with the lovely Louise de la Valliere and built a fairy tale park
around it. Jules Hardouin Mansart, the king's principal architect,
drew the plans to enlarge what was turning more and more into a
palace from A Thousand and One Nights. The terrace that
overlooked the gardens was removed to make way for the
magnificent Hall of Mirrors, the Galarie de Glaces. It is here from
which the king radiated his power and where the destiny of Europe
was decided over a century. The French classical architecture was
complemented by extensive gardens.
Les Baux-de-Provence

 is a commune in the Bouches-du-Rhône department in southern
France, in the province of Provence. It has a spectacular position in
the Alpilles mountains, set atop a rocky outcrop crowned with a
ruined castle overlooking the plains to the south. Its names refers
to its site — in Provençal, a baou is a rocky spur. The village gives its
name to the aluminium ore Bauxite which was first discovered there
in 1821 by geologist Pierre Berthier.



The Millau Bridge

is in southern France and crosses the River Tarn in the Massif
Central mountains. It was designed by the British architect Lord
Foster and at 300m (984 feet) it is the highest road bridge in the
world, weighing 36,000 tonnes. The central pillar is higher than the
famous French icon, the Eiffel Tower. The Bridge opened in
December 2004 and is possibly one of the most breath taking
bridges ever built.


Carcassonne
is a fortified French town in the Aude department, of which it is
the prefecture, in the former province of Languedoc.It is separated
into the fortified Cité de Carcassonne and the more expansive lower
city, the ville basse. The folk etymology – involving a châtelaine
named Carcas, a ruse ending a siege and the joyous ringing of bells
("Carcas sona") - though memorialized in a neo-Gothic sculpture of
Mme. Carcas on a column near the Narbonne Gate, is of modern
invention. The fortress, which was thoroughly restored in 1853 by
the theorist and architect Eugène Viollet-le-Duc, was added to the
UNESCO list of World Heritage Sites in 1997.




Mont-Saint-Michel

and its Bay Perched on a rocky islet in the midst of vast sandbanks
exposed to powerful tides between Normandy and Brittany stand
the 'Wonder of the West', a Gothic-style Benedictine abbey
dedicated to the archangel St Michael, and the village that grew up
in the shadow of its great walls. Built between the 11th and 16th
centuries, the abbey is a technical and artistic tour de force, having
had to adapt to the problems posed by this unique natural site.
Grande Île
 the historic centre of Strasbourg, France, is an island in the Ill
River. Literally "Grand Island", Grand Île was named a UNESCO
World Heritage Site in 1988. At the time, the International Council
on Monuments and Sites noted that Grand Île is "an old quarter
that exemplifies medieval cities".[1] Aside from the Strasbourg
Cathedral—the world's fourth-tallest church and an ornate example
of 15-century gothic architecture—Grand Île is home to four other
centuries-old churches: St. Thomas, St. Pierre-le-Vieux, St. Pierre-
le-Jeune, and St. Étienne.To mark Grand Île's status as a World
Heritage Site, 22 brass plates were placed on the bridges giving
access to the island.Grand Île is sometimes referred to as "ellipse
insulaire" because of its shape.




Vézelay Abbey

(now known as Basilique Sainte-Marie-Madeleine) was a Benedictine
and Cluniac monastery in Vézelay in the Yonne département in
Burgundy, France. The Benedictine abbey church of Ste-Marie-
Madeleine (or Basilica of St. Mary Magdalene), with its complicated
program of imagery in sculpted capitals and portals, is one of the
outstanding masterpieces of Burgundian Romanesque art and
architecture, though much of its exterior sculpture was defaced
during the French Revolution. The church and hill at Vézelay were
added to the UNESCO list of World Heritage Sites in 1979.




The Romanesque Abbey Church of Saint-
Savin-sur-Gartempe
begun in the mid 11th century, contains many beautiful 11th- and
12th-century murals which are still in a remarkable state of
preservation. It has been a UNESCO World Heritage Site since
1983. It is located in Saint-Savin-sur-Gartempe, in Poitou, France.

The cruciform church carries a square tower over its crossing. The
transept was built first, then the choir with its ambulatory with
five radial chapels in the polygonal apse. In the next building
campaign, three bays of the nave were added, the bell tower and its
porch, and finally the last six bays of the nave. The bell tower is
finished by a fine stone spire more than 80 meters high, added in
the 14th century (and restored in the 19th century).
Pont du Gard (Roman Aqueduct)
 is a notable ancient Roman aqueduct bridge that crosses the Gard
River in southern France. It is part of a 50 km (31 mi) long aqueduct
that runs between Uzès and Nîmes in the South of France. It is
located in Vers-Pont-du-Gard near Remoulins, in the Gard
département. The aqueduct was constructed by the Romans in the
first century AD and was added to UNESCO's list of World
Heritage Sites in 1985. It is the highest of all Roman aqueduct
bridges and is the best preserved after the Aqueduct of Segovia.

The bridge has three rows of arches, standing 48.8 m (160 ft) high,
and formerly carried an estimated 200 million litres (44 million
gallons) of water a day to the fountains, baths and homes of the
citizens of Nîmes. The aqueduct descends in height by only 17 m (56
ft) over its entire length, indicative of the great precision that
Roman engineers were able to achieve using only simple technology.
It was possibly used until as late as the ninth century, well after
the fall of Rome. However, lack of maintenance after the fourth
century meant that it became increasingly clogged by mineral
deposits and debris that eventually choked off the flow of water.

The Pont du Gard's subsidiary function as a toll bridge ensured its
survival in the Middle Ages. Although some of its stones were
looted, the local lords and bishops were for centuries responsible
for its upkeep in exchange for the right to levy tolls on travellers
using it to cross the river. It attracted increasing fame from the
18th century onwards and became an important tourist destination.
It underwent a series of renovations that culminated in 2000 with
the opening of a new visitor centre and the removal of traffic and
buildings from the bridge and the area immediately around it. Today
it is one of France's most popular tourist attractions.




Arles
 is a city and commune in the south of France, in the Bouches-du-
Rhône department, of which it is a subprefecture, in the former
province of Provence.A large part of the Camargue is located on the
territory of the commune, making it the largest commune in
Metropolitan France in terms of territory (though Maripasoula,
French Guiana is much larger. The city has a long history, and was of
considerable importance in the Roman province of Gallia
Narbonensis. The Roman and Romanesque Monuments of Arles were
listed as UNESCO World Heritage Sites in 1981. The Dutch post-
Impressionist painter Vincent van Gogh lived in Arles in 1888-1889
and produced over 300 paintings and drawings during his time there.
An international photography festival is held in the city since 1970.
The Roman Theatre of Orange
one of the largest and best preserved Roman theatres in Europe,
was built in the 1st century during the period of Emperor Augustus.
The wall of the facade is 103 meters long and 37 meters high. King
Louis XIV called it 'the finest wall in my kingdom'. The statue of
Emperor Augustus is located at the center of the stage wall.
The Triumphal Arch, located on the former via Agrippa, was built
during the same period, as a tribute to the 2nd Gallic Legion.




The Abbey of Fontenay
is a former Cistercian abbey located in the commune of Marmagne,
near Montbard, in the département of Côte-d'Or in France.

It was founded by Saint Bernard of Clairvaux in 1118, only a few
years after he left Cîteaux Abbey to found Clairvaux Abbey.
Located in a small forested valley 60 kilometres northwest of Dijon,
it achieved great prosperity in the twelfth and thirteenth
centuries. Fontenay enjoyed the protection of the Kings of France
but was plundered in the Hundred Year's War and the Wars of
Religion. Later, its fortunes declined, and the refectory was
demolished by the monks in 1745. The abbey was closed in the
French Revolution, and became a paper mill until 1902, owned for
most of its period of operation by the Montgolfier family.



Bordeaux
(French pronunciation: is a port city on the Garonne River in
southwest France, with an estimated (2008) population of 250,082.
The Bordeaux-Arcachon-Libourne metropolitan area, has a
population of 1,010,000 and constitutes the seventh-largest urban
area in France. It is the capital of the Aquitaine region, as well as
the prefecture of the Gironde department. Its inhabitants are
called Bordelais.Bordeaux is the world's major wine industry capital.
It is home to the world's main wine fair, Vinexpo,[1] while the wine
economy in the metro area moves 14.5 billion euros each year.[2]
Bordeaux wine has been produced in the region since the eighth
century. The historic part of the city is on the UNESCO World
Heritage List as "an outstanding urban and architectural ensemble"
of the 18th century.

				
DOCUMENT INFO
Shared By:
Categories:
Tags:
Stats:
views:5
posted:12/11/2011
language:English
pages:6